• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

types of flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We seem to have ignored the original question. Scrap flint for fire starting can be found from many sources. In this game one must develop the fine art of 'scrounging' to get what you need much of the time.
My fire starting flint is a hunk of red agate. It is now about the size of a silver dollar but was much larger when D.C. Waldorp gave me a hunk of scrap. That was about 45 years ago.

For fire lighting, Track used to sell big chunks of flint. It was all pretty light coloured but it worked. Suppose they still have it.

Used to pick bits of flint up on the farm back in Yorkshire. Most were broken scrapers and arrowheads from the Late Paleolithic period.
Kept the good ones and used the broken bits in my locks.

in my part of N.E.Bama the true flint is a cloudy, mid to low grade grey flint.
we also have chert, quartz, pyrite,.....everything here throws a decent to great spark.

with my ZT striker (4 finger C-with handle) and our local stones it seldom takes more than 3 strikes to have a piece of char-cloth glowing

in my part of N.E.Bama the true flint is a cloudy, mid to low grade grey flint.
we also have chert, quartz, pyrite,.....everything here throws a decent to great spark.

Experiences do vary. Here in the NW part of Arkansas there are several large quartz mines and commercial operations. I once bought from them and sold quartz jewelry. Of course, I experienced using it for ml purposes. I was never able to get a spark from it, on rifle or fire striker. Odd :hmm: , because flint and quartz both register the same on hardness scale.

I am lucky I guess. I live about an hour from Flint Ridge area here in Ohio and the Nethers Farm. Where you can go and get all you want for $0.50 a pound and an access fee to the farm :thumbsup: . Lots of different colors there to boot. DANNY

Went to Etsy.
Keith Flint?
Does that count?
HImeUaW.png
[/img]

Rifleman1776 said:
My fire starting flint is a hunk of red agate. It is now about the size of a silver dollar but was much larger when D.C. Waldorp gave me a hunk of scrap. That was about 45 years ago.

Frank, would you allow me to send you a couple of wall gun flints? Wonderous things and I seem to have lots of them :thumbsup:

Squire Robin said:
Rifleman1776 said:

Frank, would you allow me to send you a couple of wall gun flints? Wonderous things and I seem to have lots of them :thumbsup:

You are generous, Robin. You know I can't resist interesting ml goodies. Yes, thank you. Take care, my friend.

Hi Frank

Those flints crossed the big water and rebounded all the way back to my door. They will soon begin crossing #3 :idunno:

Robin

Latest posts

Back