• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two rabbits today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very educational. Until now , my recollection of Lercher came from a misguided hunting poem w/ a picture of hunters riding horses w/ a pack of fox hounds , beagles , milling around the horses hoofs. Glad that's cleared up. ......oldwood
Very often sir a lurcher would run with a pack of hounds. A pack may also in its line have a greyhounds blood introduced etc etc. After all they are a hound as is also a whippet.

Very often sir a lurcher would run with a pack of hounds. A pack may also in its line have a greyhounds blood introduced etc etc. After all they are a hound as is also a whippet.
Well all my life I have lived in a area of four packs of foxhounds and three packs of beagles and that is first time I have heard of a greyhound kept to improve the blood line ,terriers yes to bolt the fox that went to ground . Come on Brit stop trying to take the micky.
Feltwad

Just a tiny extra bit of information – the lurcher is so named because it "lurches" – in other words it is notably better at twisting and turning after a hare than a purebred greyhound.

Just a tiny extra bit of information – the lurcher is so named because it "lurches" – in other words it is notably better at twisting and turning after a hare than a purebred greyhound.
When greyhounds and lurchers chase a hare it is known has coursing this practice is how banned but when it was legal the greyhound was by not much the faster
Feltwad

Attitudes evolve over time.

HALLOO-HALLOO-See, see from yonder Furze
The Lurchers have alarm'd and started Puss!
Hold! What d'ye do? Sure you don't mean to Fire!
Constrain that base, ungenerous Desire,
And let the Courser and the Huntsman share
Their just and proper Title to the Hare!
Let the poor Creature pass and have fair Play,
And fight the Prize of Life out her own Way.
The tracing Hound by Nature was designed
Both for the Use and Pleasure of Mankind;
Form'd for the Hare, the Hare too for the Hound:
In Enmity each to each other bound:
Then he who dares by diff'rent Means destroy
Than Nature meant, offends 'gainst Nature's Law. . . .

Furze...lurchers...puss...courser...tracing hound....It has always seemed passing strange to me that the English don't speak English. ;)

Spence

Spence......Thanks for the poetic liturgy. Next time I'm on the chase up at the hunting camp , I'm sure this will pop into my old brain. Being able to hunt is sacred to me.
After a long day's grouse hunt , us kids and Spotty , the tired English setter ,
would sit in the car outside a bar , drinking Coke's in Hadentown , Pa.. , while the adults would be inside toasting the day. When our dads would come out and we would head home.
Michael , my buddies dad would wax poetic and recite a poem entitled , "The Nimrod".....Early he rises , waking all the house with noise of preparation. He goes forth , returning well beyond the dark. His breath smells of strong drink , and the truth is not in him.
Thanks again...................oldwood

Attitudes evolve over time.

HALLOO-HALLOO-See, see from yonder Furze
The Lurchers have alarm'd and started Puss!
Hold! What d'ye do? Sure you don't mean to Fire!
Constrain that base, ungenerous Desire,
And let the Courser and the Huntsman share
Their just and proper Title to the Hare!
Let the poor Creature pass and have fair Play,
And fight the Prize of Life out her own Way.
The tracing Hound by Nature was designed
Both for the Use and Pleasure of Mankind;
Form'd for the Hare, the Hare too for the Hound:
In Enmity each to each other bound:
Then he who dares by diff'rent Means destroy
Than Nature meant, offends 'gainst Nature's Law. . . .

Furze...lurchers...puss...courser...tracing hound....It has always seemed passing strange to me that the English don't speak English. ;)

Spence
Thank you Spence 👍

do not want to change the subject but reading the posts made me think of the ADDAMS family I can see ole lurch a chasin a rabbit through the brambles followed by UNCLE FESTER a carrying a blunder buss. Now we can go back to the hounds.

Latest posts

Back