• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Custom build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still leaning towards the brass furniture but I am going to ask about using the late Ketland style lock.

I have a TVM Late Lancaster. My experience with TVM is great. No problems at all, they built exactly what I asked for. I spoke with Matt and Melanie and they could not have been nicer or easier to work with. It was a very positive experience.

Rusty_Nail said:

Rusty, you're funny!

Big...;
Not necessary, just suggesting you take some precaution that what you order is what you pay for and actually get. For comparison, I do not feel compelled to make that recommendation about any other good ol' gun parts assembler by the way...

Emptor cavete TVM!

Some folks will simply pick out a target to "hate". Often it's something they did and was not at all the fault of the supplier. When ever you have maybe one or three out of a hundred claiming dissatisfaction you know right away there's more to the story. Some of the nay sayers don't even own a product from the folks they like to criticize. Roundball knows what he's talking about.

Very true. However once in a while a vendor will screw the heck outta guy, likely by mistake, and when confronted about it and having just had the "big one" with the wife, gotten a speeding ticket going 3 mph over or such, the vendor will REFUSE to accept responsibility and there we have a FORMER customer that will tell/warn others till death do we part.

I had a elk head stuffed once and was screwed outta $25.00 (silly long story) and I can guarantee you this taxidermist has lost hundreds of times what he screwed me out of and he will CONTINUE to lose $$ as I still tell everyone I can about it 15 -20 years later.

So I do not doubt either that one can get a very fine gun outta this vendor nor that Alden was wronged greatly at some time in the past. Regardless his advise is good. :wink:

hanshi said:
Some folks will simply pick out a target to "hate". Often it's something they did and was not at all the fault of the supplier. When ever you have maybe one or three out of a hundred claiming dissatisfaction you know right away there's more to the story. Some of the nay sayers don't even own a product from the folks they like to criticize. Roundball knows what he's talking about.

:thumbsup: Well said. Some people are just haters.

azmntman said:
Very true. However once in a while a vendor will screw the heck outta guy, likely by mistake, and when confronted about it and having just had the "big one" with the wife, gotten a speeding ticket going 3 mph over or such, the vendor will REFUSE to accept responsibility and there we have a FORMER customer that will tell/warn others till death do we part.

I had a elk head stuffed once and was screwed outta $25.00 (silly long story) and I can guarantee you this taxidermist has lost hundreds of times what he screwed me out of and he will CONTINUE to lose $$ as I still tell everyone I can about it 15 -20 years later.

So I do not doubt either that one can get a very fine gun outta this vendor nor that Alden was wronged greatly at some time in the past. Regardless his advise is good. :wink:

The problem is your hearing only one side. There is always two sides to a story. So before anyone should pass judgement on TVM they should know both sides of the story.

I did research before I decided in TVM and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive.

I am very excited to work with them.

Four of my nine flintlocks are TVM flintlocks and I'm very pleased with all four of them. And Matt and Toni treated me great.

Its your hard earned bucks thats paying for this so you get what you think you will be happiest with an run with it. I do not own a TVM gun but I would have zero problem with them if I wanted one. TVM guns are not the most historical correct guns out there but they shoot good just the same from all accounts that I hear. Anytime I hear negative feedback on one its the historical aspect 90% of the time. When I buy a flinter I try an get as HC/PC as possible but if its off a bit I sure dont worry about it. TVM's fit the bill for lots of folks by hitting the target's an helping fill freezers an to me thats what is all about :hatsoff:

Kopfjaeger said:
The problem is your hearing only one side. There is always two sides to a story. So before anyone should pass judgement on TVM they should know both sides of the story.

"The other side of the story" to my urging caution about not paying TVM in full before one's pretty sure they're going to get what they actually ordered is...

...paying them in full in advance no matter what. And that's always such sound advice!

Kopfjaeger said:
azmntman said:

I would love to hear the other side of the story but only one place to get it and since I am not in the market for their product I wont just call and ask. Perhaps they should post in forums relevant to their trade and defend the position. And I have not personally made a negative decision about them, just I would get a NW from the folks that erroneously TOOK THE GIRL OFF THE SITE. I do however appreciate Alden's friendly warnings. If I do business with em and am not happy I "have been warned".

Well, you MAY pass judgement about NSW who took a 1970's photo of a leather babe and replaced her with a selfie of an old guy in a brand new Mountain Man costume.

But to "pass judgement" on TVM here simply means to ensure you're gonna get what you expect, to not get taken advantage of, by good ol' boy Matt per a helpful forum member who has neither a compelling financial interest nor an emotional investment in defending his TVM product purchase(s). Oh the horror of it!

In relayed news... Hey, anyone with little or no experience wanna replace the last gal that left who was actually gonna assemble the OP's gun from parts?

"Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading is currently open for an apprenticeship.
This applicant must be a quick learner, hard worker, attentive to detail, & dependable."

Y el inglés no es necesaria mis amigos!

Alden

PS: Toni hasn't been there for years either.

The TVM we're talking about here offers lower prices because their MLers are semi-custom due to their method of building. Nothing wrong w/ that. Many buyers of LRs don't know what HC even is, so just buy one of TVM's offerings and are happy w/it. Haven't heard that TVM's quality is not good...in fact, just the opposite.

When I was "taking orders", the down payment was the cost of the parts and final payment was made w/ a PMO or certified check before shipping to the customer....this arrangement worked well. The buyer upon receiving the LR had 10 days to decide whether to keep it or not. I was lucky in that none were returned.

TVM must have some sort of payment arrangements and warranty in writing that must be signed by the customer. Unlike when I was taking orders, everything ordered must be in writing.....relieves everyone concerned of any doubts and the resulting arguments....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoke with TVM this morning and have made some changes..

They do have a Late Ketland style lock available so I am going that route AND I have changed to aged steel on the furniture.

Is it December yet?

flehto said:
Here's what I would order from TVW and the reasons why.....

Tennessee style precarve is a good choice

A "B" weight bbl X42" in .45 cal would be suitable
An "aged" look would also be fine.

Super premium wood is a good choice if there's no carving....w/ carving, it's a distraction.

How red do you want it? Red color can be sorta tricky.

A Siler flintlock isn't a good choice for your chosen style...not HC. A chambers' Late Ketland is the way to go.

14-1/4" LOP is for a pretty big, long armed guy....you already have rifles w/ that long a LOP?

Brass furniture isn't correct for your chosen style.....use "iron".

Never had any use for a vent pick, but that would be your choice.

A Chambers' "White Lightning" TH liner would yield better ignition...if you don't object to the SS circle.

"It's your rifle, so do w/ it what you will" is common advice, but as long as you're having a LR built, have it built correctly {HC}......Fred

:thumbsup: Great advice.

I like what you started out with and the changes you made based on the great advice you were given are a step forward as well. I think you will really enjoy this new rifle.

P.S. As to Alden's not so veiled warnings about TVM remember, by HIS OWN admission, he has never owned, ordered or bought a TVM product. His relentless bashing of TVM is based on second and third hand info only and the primary experience he uses is from Roudball, who has clearly said he likes TVM and Alden is misrepresenting Roundball's experience with them.
Check out this old thread that makes it REALLY clear. TVM

Back