• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey is whats for dinner.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Stephens

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well our turkey season started off with a light dreary all day rain ( hunted all day in it ) was still better than anything else I could think to be doing. Saw a great deal of birds they just would not come to the call , they just sat off gobbling and strutting around. I was carrying my .32 flinter and my buddy was toting my Cherokee and at the end of the first day of solid wet weather they both fired without a hitch. Well the Cherokee shot a total of 3 times that day it missed a Tom turkey and a coyote ( I'm sure it was all the guns fault ). We made a nice little camp for our hunt , big fire ring and all , was good getting out and hunting out of a tarp camp. Day two we were greeted with a cold front with high winds and cold temps the wind was a steady 25-30 with gusts of 45 and better. It was a fine day to be after ol Tom Turkey , despite the weather we were still seeing and hearing birds. From daylight on I was on birds they just would not come to a call so I would follow til they would hit heavy cover or go in a draw then try and cut em off at the pass. Along around noon I finally made the right move and was rewarded with my first Flintlock Tom , he is just a Jake but I am sure proud of him. To hunt with one of my best friends , the camp , the stalk , and the great meal with my family once I got back home. Was a great few days in the woods carrying my flinter , oh yea my buddy missed another coyote this morning........

"first flintlock tom" :thumbsup:

Great job! I have to admit to being a bit envious of your season being so darn early!

You da man.....
I said to myself, it's about time for Sam to post up something. As, always, great pics and stories.

Congratulations, on the bird. Some fine looking vittles.

That weather would have made me pack up and go home. :haha:

Glad to see you scored. Jakes eat good too.

Birds are tight-lipped here, none talking back.
I had a hen walk by me yesterday along with 3 does and a fawn. (A fawn? Yep. I was shocked.) A guy about 1/4 mile from me shot a 16 pounder.
The joys of hunting public land. :td:

Yes sir he is a Rio.....

We just bake in a glass pan , he was a young bird so not so tough , our older Tom's get a little on the rough side and we will crockpot them.....

Thanks for all the kind words everyone , 3 more tags to go and so little time , good luck to all that are after ol Tom...

,,,,,Sam,,,,,

Latest posts

Back