• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Hunting - On paper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I had taken my son to the farm last year on a blustery day, late in the fall season, a father-son outing and a day to remember. We were only after squirrels that day, and the chance to just relax and enjoy each others company. Several really nice beech trees at the southern end of the thicket surrounded a small wetland area, it looked like THE spot. We soon spotted a coon, perched in one of the beech trees, then found some turkey scratchings and saw 2 dark objects through the trees. They didn't delay that day. Like turkeys often do, they soon vanished in a flash, but I felt sometime I would see them again.

I asked the landowner to turkey hunt last season and with 2 days left in the season, he called me back and gave me permission, as he had killed his gobbler that morning. On the last day of season I watched as a wise old longbeard worked the edge of those beeches, then moved out into the field to setup his morning post. He worked me up and good! It was very windy and I could barely hear him gobble, but could see him throw his neck out time and time again. I had him under 50 yards several times, but never close enough to take him clean with the double-barrel muzzleloader.

My friend called just before Christmas and told me his cousin sold the farm. Sadness came over me, knowing I may never get to hunt those gobblers again..so I felt it would be nice to get them down on paper, as to always have a rememberance of those big old gobblers. I wanted to capture what we see when we are out there with detail: Sycamore leaves, a hackberry snag and an old turtle shell, all of it.. as to not forget.

Here is to them, and to you for those special days that we will always hold dear.

Wess2000Jan2008Final.jpg

Wess..that's your best yet...believe you have arrived...if you hadn't already.

Hoyt, Thanks man and good luck in the green swamp on them!

BaldMtnMan -Thanks

Roundball - Thanks

Snagg - Thanks

Roy - Thanks

Wirehairman - Thanks, I prob will, gonna check on it. If I do, I'll let you know.

Osprey - Thanks

Pab1- THanks!

GOod luck hunting!
Wess

Thanks again guys!

Is it April yet? I am already getting STOKED!!!!

GOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLE!
Wess

Latest posts

Back