• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tulle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringel05

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking at a reproduction .60 Cal French TULLE fusil-de-chasse in great shape I may be able to get for under $250. The only drawback is the barrel and hardware are all stainless steel but I may be able to replace the barrel and hardware with the proper items. Any input would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

54ball said:
Are you sure it's just not polished bright?
It may be but it's advertised as stainless though the pictures look like polished "iron" hardware.

Rich Pierce said:
Not a rifle. Probably belongs in smoothbore area.
True. Didn't think about it when I posted the thread as I was looking at the Wolf's kit with .58 Cal rifled barrels as a possible replacement. If this is a smoothbore it's probably a .62 cal.
I've requested it be moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

Yeah, those import guns do get a polish job that won't quit. Just a bit overboard. The quickest fix is to use the old mustard trick or even Naval Jelly on the metal parts. Either results in a soft grey finish by the microscopic pitting caused by the caustic effect. They are, in fact, regular steel with the mother of all polish jobs to make them reflect moonlight! :wink: :haha:

As for the price, the "import gun" here is from India for context.

Wes/Tex said:
Yeah, those import guns do get a polish job that won't quit. Just a bit overboard. The quickest fix is to use the old mustard trick or even Naval Jelly on the metal parts. Either results in a soft grey finish by the microscopic pitting caused by the caustic effect. They are, in fact, regular steel with the mother of all polish jobs to make them reflect moonlight! :wink: :haha:
Perfect for a Union soldier...... But since I ain't doin' 1860s nomo..... :haha:
Track of the Wolf has Rifled Barrels, (currently out of stock), for $225. Might take some work to make it fit though.

You may have trouble getting one of Track's barrels to be a good fit in the Indian made gun. Haven't held them both together but I'm not sure they're that close to being the same. Perhaps someone can give you a better answer here.

Wes/Tex said:
You may have trouble getting one of Track's barrels to be a good fit in the Indian made gun. Haven't held them both together but I'm not sure they're that close to being the same. Perhaps someone can give you a better answer here.
Yeah, that's what I was thinnin' but if I get it at that price it would make a nice "display" piece besides I could always compete with it in the three foot target class.......

the gun in the link is made in india with all its good points (eg low price) and its bad points.

the stock is made of inidan rosewood - which we know as teak. the metal parts a regular iron for the metal parts except lock and barrel which is steel.

i have reworked some of the india made flintlocks and came across everything that one could possibly think of. shaking and loose trigger, bend screws, bad threaded breech plugs, lock-nuts that are not turning well, trigger pull more that 15KG! cracked frizzen, hard frizzen springs...

once you fix the problmes (which may not all need to apear in the gun you mentioned) the gun works fine. currentliy i own a 1717 and a 1728 musket, both made in india and after reworking, they all work very well.

a Tulle in .62 caliber with a smoothbore fits perfectly to a character in the F&I wars.

either way, 250$US is a good price.

found a pic from a german reenactor group (F&I War). the guy on the right is holding the same "Tulle".

ue04.jpg

ike

Ike Godsey said:
the gun in the link is made in india with all its good points (eg low price) and its bad points.

the stock is made of inidan rosewood - which we know as teak. the metal parts a regular iron for the metal parts except lock and barrel which is steel.

i have reworked some of the india made flintlocks and came across everything that one could possibly think of. shaking and loose trigger, bend screws, bad threaded breech plugs, lock-nuts that are not turning well, trigger pull more that 15KG! cracked frizzen, hard frizzen springs...

once you fix the problmes (which may not all need to apear in the gun you mentioned) the gun works fine. currentliy i own a 1717 and a 1728 musket, both made in india and after reworking, they all work very well.

a Tulle in .62 caliber with a smoothbore fits perfectly to a character in the F&I wars.

either way, 250$US is a good price.
Thanks for the info. If the bidding gets too high I'll just drop out, Track of the Wolf has a kit starting at $755.00 or go with one of their longrifle kits.

I see the auction. That looks like one of the ones sold by Flintlock Repair or Veteran Arms, though the wedding bands are slightly different. The price now is good but the buy it now price is absurd--$995! New these sell for $600 so keep that in mind when bidding.

Fusilier de 3me said:
I see the auction. That looks like one of the ones sold by Flintlock Repair or Veteran Arms, though the wedding bands are slightly different. The price now is good but the buy it now price is absurd--$995! New these sell for $600 so keep that in mind when bidding.
Thanks, I already figured they didn't go for more than $500 - $600 new. I did tell the seller what he had though I didn't tell him what the new ones cost.

Just received an email from the seller claiming the musket was custom made by a "competent gunsmith" for the Arkansas Muzzleloading Club for a fundraising event.........
Apparently the seller is getting lots of interest and it looks like someone told him something different or he made it up to get a better price, dunno.

Ringel05 said:
Just received an email from the seller claiming the musket was custom made by a "competent gunsmith" for the Arkansas Muzzleloading Club for a fundraising event.........
Apparently the seller is getting lots of interest and it looks like someone told him something different or he made it up to get a better price, dunno.

I don't know. Except for the rear sight to me it looks exactly like an Indian Tulle. Maybe a more knowledgeable person than me can look at the pics and say.

The auction is on gunbroker, the only Tulle listed. Anyone?

looking at the gun at gunbroker, yes, thats a curry one.

here is a Tulle also made in india, offered by a european dealer - maybe that helps?

for me it looks like the barrel is different to the one offered with the curry gun. look at the weddings. these are different! too dirfferent to come fro india. and that rear sight is a "rifle type" one - meaning one that you would install on a "kentucky" rifle (cheap ones from italy or spain).

ike

Back