• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tulle - "Fusil de Chasse"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all,

Contemplating building a Tulle - "Fusil de Chasse" as my first kit. As far as I can tell there are two main suppliers - Track of the Wolf, and Pecatonica River, with about $100 between them for a walnut stock.

Is one "better" than the other? Mostly in terms of "buildability" I guess. Although there may be other factors I haven't considered.

Any advice gratefully received.

YMH&OS

Steve in NZ, on the official first day of autumn

You might try RE Davis. There is a nice looking kit for a French trade gun[url] http://www.redaviscompany.com/kits.html[/url]
I haven't built this kit, but it is yet another choice with a longer barrel than either Pecatonica or Track offers. I have used several of RE Davis' locks and found them quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is rumored that Dick Greensides, owner of Pecatonica River and their multiple spindle stock shaping machines makes the stocks for Track of the Wolf.

The only thing that seems to be different is the selection of the lock.
Track uses the Davis French Trade lock while Pecatonica uses a similar lock made by L&R.
IMO, both of these lock companys produce good quality locks.

The buildability would be the same for either of the guns.

I bought a Tulle from Pecatonica some years back.
I did all of the work myself other than soldering the barrel tenons and sight, although not a masterpiece by any stretch, it went together well and is a good shooter, I also have a southern mountain rifle fro them. I would not hesitate buying another kit from Pecatonica :thumbsup:

Beowolf, R.E. Davis gets my vote also with their excellent offering on their Type "C" French Trade Gun. Closest thing on the market to a real one. The barrel is a full 48" long and it is copied from an original barrel in all dimensions. The hardware and furniture is just like the original hardware and furniture too. Makes a nice fusil!
Don :thumbsup:

I built up a smoothie along the lines of a fusil de chasse few years back with a 46" swamped .62 barrel. I got the parts from different vendors, as seemed not anyone of them had the complete package of components.

I have built 2 Pecatonica kits and was extremely hapy with both. Here a link to the Tulle of theirs I built last summer. I would not hesitate one bit to order from them again. It is a great shooter in the field as well.
[url] http://photobucket.com/albums/v719/kmeyer9/Guns/62cal Tulle/[/url]

I am now building a rifle from TVM as I wanted to compare the quality from both companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've built kits from both, and i suspect that zonie's 'rumor' is closer to fact than might be popular... the machinig marks were the same, so: two guys with the exact type of multi axis lathe, or one guy making stocks for several different outlets, either way, Mr. Greensides is a very accomodating fellow and i wouldn't ever hesitate to buy anything he sells- it's all very high quality.

if you can't get a Chambers deluxe large siler (not for Tulle) i am partial to the L&R, but that' just my uninformed opinion. Good luck with your build.

MSW

I just visited Pecatonica last Thursday, and spent time going through the showcase of wood stocks. Lots of nice wood there. Dick Greensides is very easy to talk to- I have talked to him before at Friendship- and was very helpful to my brother picking out a stock for a custom rifle he has being made for him. I spoke to him about getting a replacement stock made for a shotgun I now have, and while he does not make shotgun stocks, he indicated he would be willing to put my stock on his pattern lathe if I set it up to the dimensions I wanted on the new stock. THAT is what I call accomodating!

tmla,
Be aware that TOW makes (2) different Fusil de chasse kits.

One uses their own 42in Oct/round barrel, and is quite blocky and clumbsy feeling.

The other uses a 44in tapered and flared oct/round barrel by Colerain. I have put together a couple, and they make a very sleek, great handling and feeling gun.

My recommendation by far and away would be the latter.

Back