• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRS French Pulverin Horn parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you could just buy a really big horn and cut it down to fit? be easier than hunting down a 1/8" bigger one wouldnt it?

Not sure it's really worth the trouble but I am waiting to hear back from Powder horns and more who I've sent an email telling them what I'm looking for.

One thing that surprised me is this horn seems to be on the small side, not as big as I envisioned anyway. I would say it will hold a 1/2 lb to 3/4 of a lb of powder when done. It will be interesting to see.

Thought this might help, sketched it out today.

IMG_0682.jpg

:thumbsup: thats what I sort of had in mind.. thanks for drawing it out :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

no problem!

saw a really cool flask today btw, It had this type of mechanism but it was wood body with hinged door for bullets an patches with a lower chamber for powder! it was verry interesting!

This piece you all are working on will look great when its finished!

Swampy said:
I found a horn I had bought off ebay about a year ago or so stuck in a box and as luck would have it, it just fit the bottom mount. Maybe slightly smaller than it should be. After heating the horn and fitting it to the mount it has just a slight gap on one side. Thats all I can do for the moment as the top parts went in the mail today for Roy to figure out. :haha: But it's a start.

Swampy, Just make yourself a wood form that has a slight taper. Heat the end of that horn and insert the form and lightly pound the form into the horn. That will stretch the horn out and get rid of that gap! Go slow and keep that horn very hot as you do this.
Rick

fphorn1.jpg

fphorn2.jpg

fphorn3.jpg

fphorn4.jpg

Hey Horner, if I have to I'll do just that. Hadn't thought of that. :thumbsup:

But Robby is sending me a horn that should work, just waiting on that to arrive before going any further. :thumbsup:

Robby I think you fixed me perfectly. :thumbsup: Horn arrived today and I have to say theres a big difference between yours and the one I was working with. Alot more weight on yours and thicker walls. I know the one I was using was polished and yours still needs work but still a big difference. Best part is the horn is slightly bigger than the bottom mount so there shouldn't be any problem fitting it right. It also will end up bigger around than the first one.:thumbsup:
I thank you my friend. :thumbsup:

DSCF3145.JPG

DSCF3148.JPG

Ok, I cut a 1/8" to 3/4" wedge off the base to straighten the horn a bit. Now I figure I have to file, sand the outside smooth before fitting the base, yes? Not fun on a rainy day.../crys

Think you picked a nice one Robby. :thumbsup: I worked on it getting the scratches and most of the imperfections out. Just have three growth rings to hopefully get out. I do that and it should be a snow white horn perfect for scrimshaw. :thumbsup:

DSCF3150.JPG

DSCF3151.JPG

DSCF3153.JPG

Before I go any further, I don't want to ruin this horn, are these growth rings going to come out with sanding or are they something I'm going to have to live with? I don't want to end up sanding the horn to much trying to get them out and ruin the horn.

Finished product should look something like this:

IMG_0150a.jpg
Spout needs to be threaded with a dye and the top piece tapped with same thread.

Oh cool, thanks for posting the pic! :thumbsup: Yeah we figured it was threaded after seeing the pic of it in TRS new catalog. Can ya tell me how you mounted the eye hooks? Did you use a pilot hole in both the inside and outside tabs, then screw the eye hooks into them?

At first I drilled the holes through all 3 layers (outside lip-horn-inside lip. I then made my own eye hooks and threaded them 8-32.Then tapped inside lip and drilled outside lip and horn big enough for the hook. This didnt seem to work so well so I just used some self tapping eye hooks. One thing to watch is dont thread the spout all the way as you need room for the spring to wrap around it. I'll see if I have any better pics of that area and will post them.

I was thinking self tapping was the way to go here so that just confirms it. I appreciate any further tips or pic's you might post. Thank you John. :thumbsup:

Swampy, Those growth rings probably go all the way through that horn. Hey!...Their beautiful and will give you horn a distinctive look about it!

Rick

Back