• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trouble tightening cock jaws.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happens to the tape if the frizzen rebounds?

That flint had about 50 shots on it, it's not all the way back to the screw and there is nothing behind it so I shouldn't be too surprised it got loose.

I just wonder why they make the screw slot so narrow?

Flintlock Bob said:

Two thoughts:

1 - it is cheaper & easier to simply saw a narrow slot & be done with it. You don't need special files or workshop time to widen or taper the slot.

2 - it leaves the screw with more metal & thus stronger. If the screw broke at the slot when trying to replace a flint, the gun would be useless until a new screw could be made.

Flintlock Bob said:

Coot is correct that modern made screw slots are made with circular slitting saws that form a parallel screw slot. There were some few screws made in the period with parallel side screw slots, but normally these were used in clocks and other precision items.

Italian and many continental gunmakers then and now just LOVED/LOVE to use tiny/thin slots in many guns screws so the average person would not be able to "mess with" them.

In the 18th century, they might have "hot punched" the heads of the screws to begin the slot or even used a hack saw to begin the slot and then used a "knife edge" taper file to dress up the slots. (All screws were hand made to a great degree in that century.) This left a clean tapered slot in the screw heads.

Since there was no such thing as interchangeable parts in the 18th century and thus screw slots would have varied by the hand made files that were used to cut/make them, the best explanation I have ever heard for the V shaped slots was the Turnscrews (Screwdrivers) could be used on a wider range of slots and/or were easier to file/grind to fit the blades to the slots.

In the following two part Video on making Turnscrews, Jack Rowe demonstrates making Turnscrews the older way that goes back at least to the 18th century. (Modern Machinists and Gunsmiths will probably be surprised, if not shocked, that he is not making parallel blade turnscrews/screwdrivers.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xAA5UnF1w

Dave Person suggested opening the screw slot with either a straight or Knife Edge/V Shaped jewelers file to more easily fit modern turnscrews/screwdrivers. If one uses the Knife Edged file, the slot will be V shaped and then one can use the above videos as a guide to filing the blade of a turnscrew/screwdriver to fit.

Personally, I prefer a parallel sided screwdriver slot and turnscrew/screwdriver to fit, because you don't mess/bugger up the screw slots as easily that way.

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Just don't use your nice knife blade to try to tighten that thin screw on a cock. If the blade is fairly brittle such as a nice old German hunting knife blade, it takes a nice little chunk out of the blade. I have a 40 year old reminder of this on the knife on one of my older shooting bags. I keep the knife as a reminder of youthful stupidity and impatience.

That's a good point to consider with many modern made knife blades.

Since probably the majority of knives used in the period by Riflemen were English or perhaps some French Trade knives, those blades were not as brittle, but I bet they still risked twisting the edges if not chipping them. Yet if they only used the very rear of those blades' edges, it would not matter a great deal when/if they did not have a proper turnscrew.

Gus

I have special tools for narrow slots in top jaw screws. It is a hacksaw and micro files that are used to widen the slots so a screw driver.

I use a bench grinder to grind parallel sides on old screwdrivers. I can fit the blade to the entire depth of the slot. I have several around the shop and man cave plus a short one for the bag.
Don't let the blade get too hot when grinding. Keep some water by your grinder.
And don't let the wheel grab the tip of the screwdriver.

mr.flintlock said:
I have special tools for narrow slots in top jaw screws. It is a hacksaw and micro files that are used to widen the slots so a screw driver.

That's good. But caution should be used when widening the slot so as to not make the bolt weak. Most flint bolts narrow down just below the head.

Latest posts

Back