• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Travel storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooter76

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I just received orders sending me to Texas. Previously this hasn't been an issue as most of my firearms are modern guns that fit into pelican cases. But with a longrifle a pelican case isn't going to be big enough. So for those who have moved with muzzleloaders, what did you use for storage for the move?

Hey Sooter. I have one aluminum and 2 wood cases for long rifles but I know time and $ can be in play. Wrap your baby in a blanket or 2 and lay it on the floor behind (or In front) of the front seat.

Guessing you may be going to Hood. If so the Tx ML Rifle Assn shoots a couple hours West. Get in touch w me via PM and will hook u up w other MLers in your area.

Thx for your service

TC
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club '69

+ 1 I've been from South Fl. to N. Ohio with them in a canvas sock from Track and wrapped in a blanket as discribed above.

Why not just take it apart and place it in a cheap hard plastic case?

I have done this several times when transporting long guns.

I put them in the TOW canvas cased, then wrapped them in blankets, too.

Dunno what you're driving, but I have a truck with a canopy. I loaded them into the truck first, right up against the cab. Then everything else went in on top and behind them. You couldn't see them and there was no clue they were there. Anyone breaking in would have to unload the whole back end to get to them. Goodenuff for me.

I have used a wool case inside a canvas case & the gun in the truck with me. A really good soft case in long rifle or musket length is available from uniquecases.com - made here in the US. If shipping with household goods, a foam (firm foam) lined box made from 1x4s and 1/4" plywood. Hope your move goes well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to put mine in a leather sleeve case and then wrap the whole thing with a cheap foam sleeping pad from K-mart and secure it with velcro straps. If you have to ship the gun, you can by the pelican type hard cases for a LR but they are a couple hundred bucks. Might be worth the effort to make one yourself in that case.

Recently I got a soft padded case made for LRs that is just like the kind that is common for modern rifles. I now use that instead of the sleeping pad, but I sure wouldn't ship it this way. I couldn't find anything like that by searching the internet, but someone posted a link to a place that sells them on this forum a couple months back. Turns out the one I received is made by the same company who made the one I used for my modern scoped rifle, and it is very nice.
http://uniquecases.com/product-category/musket-cases/

Try 2nd amendment products, they sell airline approved aluminum cases. I have heard Jim Chambers sells one too, but you would have to call them to verify. It's not listed on their web site. If you are looking for a soft case I think the log cabin sells them.

Harbor freight moving blankets or a sleeping bag. roll em up and strap em. just don't let them sleep together.
Be safe brother!

I just moved myself, so I just went through this.
Most of my soft side gun cases are too short and the padding is too thin for good protection so I wrap all of my rifle's gun cases with a 72"x80" HARBOR FRIEGHT moving blanket and use packing tape to hold everything together. I bought 6 moving blankets for $5.99 each with a HF coupon. For my custom rifles I've purchased a heavy duty aluminum case from Impact. It has wheels at one end and when loaded with two rifles weighs close to 40 pounds so the wheels come in handy.

Plus three on the Unique Cases. I bought one a few years ago and couldn't believe how reasonably priced it was.

That said, for moving, I would wrap up your long guns well and put them in a cardboard box just like you were shipping it. If you don't have cardboard boxes that are long gun sized, you can easily make them by cutting up other-sized sturdy boxes and taping them well together. I've done this many times when shipping odd-sized things. I think it would work well for moving as long as you pad it a good amount.

Back