• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky/PA vs Dixie Tennesse rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations to all!

Out of curiosity, which one is a better rifle?
Dixie Poor Boy/TN or Traditions Kentucky/Pennsylvania?

They're both production guns and both look decent, so...?

i would take the traditions if i had my choice of the two. but i'm not saying one is better than the other.

The Dixie Tennessee is no longer in production.
The Traditions Kentucky is a different rifle than the Traditions Pennsylvania.
So which ones are you wanting to compare?

I personally would go with the dixie over the traditions but it is just my personal preference. :idunno:

If you go with the Traditions Pennsylvania Long Rifle, you will probably have to sand down and refinish the rear of the butt-stock due to the very high, curving "Roman nose" style comb on the stock which makes it impossible to comfortably aim the rifle in a normal way since the high comb won't allow one's cheek to get down far enough on the stock's comb to align the sights when one's cheek is in a "normal" shooting position.

Every one who shot my Shenandoah (including myself) had to slide their cheek 'way back towards the stock's butt in order to align the sights comfortably.

I bought a Traditions "Shenandoah" Pennsylvania Long rifle which has only a 33½ inch barrel rather than the longer "Pennsylvania Rifle's" length of barrel and, like Tradition's Pennsylvania Long Rifle, both are very nice looking rifles!

However, both rifles have the same stock configuration... one stock is merely longer than the other.

My Shenandoah is very accurate and I can comfortably shoot the rifle once I sanded down the high "Roman nose" comb on the butt-stock and re-stained & refinished it. Now... the rifle is a real "pleasure" to shoot because I can comfortably get my cheek down on the comb and align the sights quite easily. By the same token, the rifle retained it's "good looks" and the stock looks fine with the "Roman nose" mostly gone.

I wasn't the only shooter who had a problem with that high "Roman nose" comb... several other experienced, traditional black powder shooters in our Poplar Creek Long Rifle Club also shot my rifle and all of them had a "problem" with the extremely high "Roman nose" butt-stock.

So if you choose the Traditions Pennsylvania Long Rifle... be ready to accept the fact that you will probably need to sand down that high, curving comb in order to align the sights properly. However, sanding down and re-finishing the butt-stock isn't all that difficult and definitely not a good reason to fail to choose the very attractive-looking Traditions Pennsylvania Long Rifle.

Then, too... there may be other "problems" with the other rifle you're considering. I'm not familiar with that one. :idunno:

Good luck on your venture... and make "good" smoke... always!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Could you please post some pictures of your refinished rifle please? It looks like an interesting and fun project.

Hahahahahaha... I'd love to if I knew how, but at my age, I not much interested in learning anything "new". :idunno:

Jus' "picture" the standard Traditions Pennsylvania Long Rifle without the "hump" on the comb and you will get a good idea of what it looks like.

I.E., the comb has a very gentle slope from the front of the comb to slightly before the heel of the stock. Just before the stock's heel, there is a slight down-turn as the stock curves down slightly to the top of the butt-plate.

Oh I can imagine the stock just right, but you know how it is with these guns... can't get enough of looking at them!!! Thank you Ron

Those highly curved combs seem to be an Italian version of the Reading style of stock on steroids.

The curvature shown on my Reading is closer to what most of the rifles with the "Roman Nose" actually had.

Kent1.jpg

WOW... that's one very beautiful rifle, Zonie... but the Traditions Pennsylvania doesn't have as much drop in the stock as your example and the "Roman Nose" is much more pronounced than your example.

If the Traditions Pennsylvania looked like your rifle, they wouldn't be able to keep 'em in stock!!!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Back