• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Hawken Woodsmen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.Boone

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have shot muzzle loaders for years but never had a flintlock. Looking at getting the Traditions Hawken Woodsmen from Cabela's $449.99 plus tax. I know that you get what you pay for. What do you folks think about this rifle for a entry level gun?

I'd save n pay twice as much for a Jim kibler myself, then you have a rifle that works, is respected and has good resale value.

I happen to have the gun yer metioning and it is exactly that, an entry level gun. I want a lock that is tuned (tunable) and reliable. Mine works decent but not as good as it could. You could get the Traditions and then put in a L&R lock too? Mine is very accurate.

If ya cant wait go for it, if ya can get the Kibler.

I own one!! however the previous owner scrapped the lock put a l&R lock RMC touch hole liner slimmed it down. had it around a week the lock is fast and sends lots of sparks, this rifle is very accrate, the previous own put some time into it and made it a beautiful, sweet shooting rifle. slowly becoming my favorite muzzleloader

Here's the full story I have a 500.00 gift card for Cabela's. Card was from a large company promotion thing. This rifle is about 200.00 less than one that they sell in the Pedersoli Model. I could throw in some cash if the Pedersoli model is any better ? Give me your thoughts on that.

The key is the lock. If it was percussion I'd say go for it but Traditions locks can be iffy in flint. A bad flint lock can be frustrating and turn people off of flintlocks. I believe the Pedersoli's to be better but that is just from what I hear. If you get the traditions and have to put another lock in it, you are in it another $200 for a good lock and more work fitting it. I hear lots of good things about the Lyman GPRs also.

Here's my 2 cents....The old Jukar, CVA, and early Traditions Flintlocks were awful. the guns themselves were very accurate. The new Traditions Flintlocks appear to be redesigned, they don't look like the old ones, and guys shooting them on Youtube videos seem to be doing ok.

The other consideration is parts availability....
It's super easy to get a new frizzen or spring for a lyman, Investarms or Traditions in America. Pedersoli parts are more difficult to come by.

L&R locks does make replacements for lyman and Traditions....I'm not so sure about Perdersoli.

While the Cabela's & Pedersoli Rifles are both good shooting rifles, The flint locks on the guns are a coin toss. Many buyers have very good service from the flint locks, but many also do not. Once you've bought the rifle, and get a bad luck lock, you'll spend $$ on a L&R replacement lock, work on the overall rifle to get it looking and feeling okay, you will have more invested it the rifle than just the initial cost. If you get a good lock you still have to work on the stock to make it look modestly authentic. I agree that a Jim Kibler kit will be easier to work on and will be absolutely reliable. The kit is less than a grand.

Save your money, and get a good lock.
Let's face it.... the most important parts of a rifle are the lock and the barrel.
The Kibler kit has a Chambers lock, and a Rice barrel, with a white lightning liner.
I put mine together in 6 hours.
There's nothings no more frustrating than a flinter that won't go Off!!!,

Said he wanted a flintlock. Implied a reliable one....... that's a Kibler.

Colorado Clyde said:
But Kibler doesn't make a Hawken.....

I think the OP wants a Hawken....

Actually I think he wants a flinter and wants to spend that $500 Cabalas card on it.. I would too. (But you may be right, it also may be a hawken thing on top of the whole card thing :grin: )

FWIW I own the that rifle in percussion and love it.

Thanks for all the reply's yes the $500.00 dollar gift card is the thing. It's like having a free Rifle by using the card. I will continue to do some research but am limited to one of the rifle's sold at Cabela's if I use the card.

Traditions is offering a decent warranty nowadays. I know of at least two instances where a new owner of a new Traditions rifle was unsure of the lock or another reason for erratic ignition. In both cases, Traditions took care of it. One of the locks was replaced with a new one, the other had an invoice for $0 and stated the lock was inspected, replaced parts as necessary and tuned. Traditions also sent 3 complimentary flints. In both cases the rifles had instant ignition upon reinstalling the lock and loading/firing. Now, it is a shame that two locks had some kind of issue, but the customer service took care of it 100%. So for less than $500 it would be worth it to try. As said you can always get an L&R lock for about $185 new, refinish the stock, get a new touch-hole liner, etc... to customize somewhat and get increased reliability if it is want. There's a fellow on a different site that has purchased one of each Traditions flintlock model in kit form. Each works perfectly, according to the owner/author who provided some tweaks he did to the stock parts.

I agree with moonman76 who knows you might like it and plan an upgrade on down the road... I have gotten more than my money's worth from my T/C Hawken decades ago... I'm in the process of upgrading for longer barrel, slower twist and a larger caliber... I enjoy firearms and hunting and historical challenges and perspectives....

Honestly, with the gift card covering all but the sales tax, and maybe some of that too.. I'd get the Traditions in a heartbeat. I know the rifle is sound, and I have folks here who can help me troubleshoot if the lock doesn't spark right. That and I can assure you Traditions DOES have EXCELLENT customer service

The Traditions Hawken Woodsmen is a good starting place to the land of the flintlock.

As others have said, if there is a problem with the lock, Traditions will take care of it for you.

The barrels on the CVA and Traditions have always been very accurate once the right combination of powder, patch thickness and ball size have been found.

The Lyman GPR is a bit higher quality but it weighs more.
If you like a lighter weight gun the Woodsman is the choice. If a few pounds of extra weight is not a problem, the Great Plains Rifle is better but, it costs more.

Happy shooting with your new gun. I know either one of them will make you happy. :)

azmntman said:
I'd save n pay twice as much for a Jim kibler myself, then you have a rifle that works, is respected and has good resale value.

I happen to have the gun yer metioning and it is exactly that, an entry level gun. I want a lock that is tuned (tunable) and reliable. Mine works decent but not as good as it could. You could get the Traditions and then put in a L&R lock too? Mine is very accurate.

If ya cant wait go for it, if ya can get the Kibler.

INDEED!

Howie has my old woodsman, however it is not stock as mentioned. The factory locks are horrible... Save your money and buy something else. Yet, you have a gift card... IMO I would look at the Cabela's Blue Ridge if you can snag it on sale.

Thanks for all the help! I think I will hold onto the card for awhile an see if they put one of the flintlocks on sale. Does cabalas have a certain time of year they put them on sale?

Back