• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Gun Tom!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giving it a sporting chance if it meant shooting it flying or running

and wounding it to die a painful death. The only way to kill one and recover is a head or neck shot. We yankees call em in as close as possible and shoot the head/neck for a clean kill.

and we do not shoot them sitting. They are walking strutting and gobbling and often beating up a decoy. They will see you blink at 50 yds and jigs up.

How many wounded birds are left in your trail I wonder?

in CONCLUSION, it is fine for you to have your thoughts of our weaknesses as sportsmen, simply allow them to remain where they belong (in your head) and we wont get uptight.

No further need to blast the brits, we all know several we would welcome to camp in any weather :thumbsup:

azmntman said:
giving it a sporting chance if it meant shooting it flying or running

and wounding it to die a painful death. The only way to kill one and recover is a head or neck shot. We yankees call em in as close as possible and shoot the head/neck for a clean kill.

and we do not shoot them sitting. They are walking strutting and gobbling and often beating up a decoy. They will see you blink at 50 yds and jigs up.

How many wounded birds are left in your trail I wonder?

in CONCLUSION, it is fine for you to have your thoughts of our weaknesses as sportsmen, simply allow them to remain where they belong (in your head) and we wont get uptight.

No further need to blast the brits, we all know several we would welcome to camp in any weather :thumbsup:
The debate was shooting turkeys but the reply s I now feel are becoming too personal .If this the answers I now think that been a member of the Traditional Muzzle Loaders for which I have supplied information to several on different types of gun ignition is time too move on . So too those shooters that I helped I will say over and out
Feltwad

[quote
The debate was shooting turkeys but the reply s I now feel are becoming too personal . [/quote]
Oh come on old chap, lighten up, we are just having a little fun with our cousins from across the pond. We can't help having rough edges.

Don't bite friend.
This fellow goes around the forums spouting his self righteous mantra on how his ways are the only way and everyone else is wrong.
Eventually he gets ignored and leaves.
I say again to the op, well done and enjoy your bird.
I hunt this way too sometimes only with pheasants.
I find some wild birds, try to study their habits and then intersect them at a later date via some cover and you know what I could not care a jot what others think or say, especially pompous working class self righteous snobs!

B.

Feltwad said:
No Deer said:
What a snob!! It is obvious that you have never hunted turkeys. The challenge, thrill and sportsmanship is not in the shooting of the bird, it is in calling the bird in to within range. Many a hunter has called them in, but it really hard to get it to close the distance to be within range. And to get it within 8 feet is a tremendous feat. Not only do you need the talent to get one to respond and stir up its curiosity, but extreme patience is needed to wait for it to close the range. And then to sit tight while it is in range and wait for it to get that close is amazing. Don't forget that you are convincing the male turkey to do something that is against his nature.. go to the female (in this case decoy). In nature the hen goes to the Tom when she is receptive and that is what the Tom expects to happen. I have gotten them to within 20 yards several times, so my hat is off to someone that can wait for it to be only 8 feet away.

By the way congrats Brad, nice bird and great story.

Come on if it needs 8yards to get them within range for a kill then a turkey must have a brain has big has a pea Has for a snob diffidently not just a retired working class chap and not a pot hunter . If that is what you call game shooting come over to the UK and see what working class shooters and the snobs here call game shooting.
Not a snob
Feltwad

We don't NEED to call them in to 8 yards. Depending on your gun (modern included), anything closer than 50 yards could be a shooter. However, it takes a lot of patience, nerve and skill to wait and convince the MOST wary animal in the wilds to come closer. It is heart pounding, and tense to wait for it, and to me it is a badge of honor to get one in that close.

What is your success rate of hunting "game" birds your way? Fairly high I would guess. The success rate for the average turkey hunter is probably below 50%, but that is just on stupid birds I guess.

I'd say if a guy knows what he's doing and HAS THE TIME bagging a turkey could be as high as 60-70% :rotf: . Theres a 3-4 day window twice during the season (at least here) where the toms will come in. Other days yer just not getting a shot (unless ya sit water, and who can sit water with gobbling all around :surrender: )

For most guys its a single day off and weekends so the chance that window opens up on his hunt is greatly reduced.

I agree though, bagging even a Jake is something to brag about, shows you can hunt and have the patience to sit immobile as long as it takes. And many of us recall many times they show up w/o a single gobble! I'd say turkey hunting skills are the hardest to master period. I have not hunted bear, antelope or sheep though :idunno:

This might be the thread of the year! Glad you started it Brad and congratulations again... Most of us were right there with you and know what it took!!! :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief :hatsoff:

Skychief said:
This might be the thread of the year! Glad you started it Brad and congratulations again... Most of us were right there with you and know what it took!!! :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief :hatsoff:

Boys, Boys, take it easy on the Brits, they have no idea bad mouthed good old boys hunting turkeys is like telling a Texan General Santa Anna was the only hero at the Alamo.

Problem is, this isn't the 1st snobby, ignorant, post on the subject from Feltwad. He continues to put forth his snotty, arrogant, opinion, on something he knows nothing about.

Let's stick to talking about the successful turkey hunt and let those who don't understand say their piece and go on their way. :)

I say good job on the turkey, would be quite proud myself! Couple years ago I shot 2 mallards with one shot, snuck through the reeds and waited, No, they weren't sitting ducks, I pulled the trigger as they were Swimming by, big difference ya know. I thought it was an accomplishment, take 2 ducks with 1 shot with a flintlock trade gun I built from a blank. to each their own I guess. chuck

:thumbsup: I myself have rarely shot ducks on water surface. My favorite method is over decoys and I wait until the start "flapping back" to land and blast em. there is a point where they are near motionless and just a few feet off the eater. EASY shooting if ya can wait :haha:

Awesome job and great story. Spring turkey season is a great time to be in the woods. All that spring has to offer for sure. Calling in a wary old tom or jake for that matter, is a bonus. Good way to introduce some one to hunting also. Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back