• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade gun match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemoke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A question came up at our club shoot yesterday. Can a double barrel shot gun be used in a trade gun match. under NMLRA rules

IMHO if it is flint it would probably be legal in a "trade gun" match, percussion ignition would be legal only in "smoothbore" matches.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Well,
If it has flintlock ignition and does not have
a rear sight above the plain of the barrel it should be legal in NMLRA smoothbore matches. The number of barrels is not mentioned. I can't see an advantage in using a double barreld shotgun in the smoothbore matches. You might do better with the clay birds but most smoothbore matches have far more round ball shots than shot gun loads.
That being said..the just for grins situation is another animal! I took a 6 bore blundrbuss to a trap match once! Didn't hit a single bird but what grins!

grzrob said:
Well,
If it has flintlock ignition and does not have
a rear sight above the plain of the barrel it should be legal in NMLRA smoothbore matches. The number of barrels is not mentioned. I can't see an advantage in using a double barreld shotgun in the smoothbore matches. You might do better with the clay birds but most smoothbore matches have far more round ball shots than shot gun loads.

This is my understanding too:
If the match is advertised as a "trade gun" match, it mandates flint lock ignition only.
If it is listed as a "smoothbore" match, you can use either flint or percussion.
I haven't heard of any restrictions regarding number of barrels.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Gemoke,
I talked with a shotgun shooter and he said if the gun is strong enough to shoot round balls you could do it.So many doubles are not made to shoot balls, the barrel walls are too thin and might not stand the pressure. Not my opinion just passing this along.
George

Back