• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

touch hole is dangerous?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Another “myth” busted? :hmm:
I heard of the dangers of being too close to the flash hole or how it can set something on fire, like dry grass or someone's beard. While I guess anything is possible; I needed to know more.
I made a wire stand that would hold a piece of paper about 12” form the touch hole and shot the gun. Several times! It is hard to believe it is as dangerous as some would have you believe. Although the wire was not able to hold the paper but blowing it away a few times this is the worst it did. :idunno:

flashholeblast.jpg

There was so little marking on the paper I hesitated putting this on the forum. But here is one typical piece of paper example of the unremarkable results.

You could do the definitive test and put you face 12" out from the vent.
Dan

Trust me if that was you face or god forbid an eye you would absolutely believe that a touch hole is dangerous.The ejecta from the hole exits at about the same pressure that pushes the ball out. Dont take my word for it there are those here who can verify that it can be painful and can blind you nuff said

I trust neither of you guys have first hand knowledge of the “definitive face” test? :hmm:
The paper was only 12 inches (or less) from the blast and I doubt anyone would stand that close to another person shooting a flintlock. But like I pointed out and glossed over,
“...I guess anything is possible; I needed to know more. “

Now Dan, lets not start putting foolish :youcrazy: ideas in people's heads. :doh: :slap: Next thing you know, someone will want to "bust" another myth, like "its impossible to overload a muzzleloader" and fill up a barrel with 3f to within 2 inches of the muzzle and then load a patched ball. (It's not a myth, It will blow up the gun!)

It won't set anything on fire, but you can get flash-burns or tattooing if you get too close.

One of my hunting pards owns and shoots a number of originals, some with the touch hole "hogged out" way too large by today's standards, probably from centuries of picks and erosion. He's also got black freckles permanently tatooed all down the left side of his face and his left hand from the time his grandson shot a deer with one of them as my pard was sitting on the right. He can't document how far apart they were, but they both had their daypacks on the ground between them. Call it 2 feet, call it 4 feet, but it duddn't matter. He's danged lucky he had his binocs pressed to his face when it happened.

I once took a flint chip about 1/2" behind the corner of my eye, that drew blood. I was about 8' away from the shooter. Powder is not your only concern!

Ebiggs, I'm a range officer at the CCKC black powder range here in Wisconsin. We have a rule on the range that once a flintlock shooter has stepped to the firing line, no one may take the position next to him/her in line with the touch hole. Also the shooter may not step to the line if there is another shooter already there and would be in line with the touch hole. I've been doing this for over 15 years and while there has been no serious injury, a few folks have been "bitten". We're talking about 3 feet away from the touch hole.

I don't know about setting anything on fire although like you said "anything is possible". I will say for certain that you obviously have been standing on a firing line next to someone shooting a flintlock. I've been hit with particles as far as 6 feet away. The size of the touch hole is a big factor in how far and how much debris comes out. I would NOT recomend the "Definitive face test". :shake:

Once you've been to the ophthalmologist a time or two and let him use the wonderful die grinder to remove embedded debris from your eyeball... You'll be much more careful where you stand and what you do, with or without safety glasses...

Of course the typical printer paper today is pretty tough stuff and does not burn real well. Try that with some newsprint, or even more fun,a full bearded volunteer.

I seem to recall a member here that shot a smoothbore from the hip - holding it left handed with a right-hand lock - and tattooed his right inner forearm pretty fiercly.

Musketman caught fire to a haybale he was resting on with the pan flash.

Respectfully, that proves nothing.
I have done the "definitive eye test". Albeit not intentionally or willingly.
I had come to the line and was aiming when I caught movement to my left as another shooter stepped up. I turned to ask him to wait until I had shot when he shot. The ejection from his flash hole caught me square in the left eye. I thought I had lost the eye for many long minutes until the pain subsided. The flash hole 'range' was about three feet. I was very-very lucky.
BTW, touch hole size and charge can affect the distance for felt or possible harmful blast. I sure wouldn't want to be to the right of my Brown Bess when it fires. :shocked2: That's why I have a flash guard on the lock. Even though I try to be very safe, the flash guard is a 'just in case' protection for others.

Good Lord, you just fall off the turnip truck? :shake:

:shake:
I trust neither of you guys have first hand knowledge of the “definitive face” test?
Yes, I do have first hand experience. We were in a competitive live fire military shoot and the guy on my left some how got a bit ahead of the rest of us, his vent hole linedup with my face. On the volley I took a terriffic blast to the side of my face, stunning me and recieving powder burns and a chunk of flintg in the ear, bloody mess. My buds dug the flint out and scrubbed the side of my face with a wash cloth. I still carry visible powder burns on the left side of my face and a large black spot on my ear. All of this from about 12" away.
Test it out for yourselfwith one of your own body parts. :wink:

They sure can spit out some debris...when I frst started with Flintlocks, I shot a pretty standard 50 shot range session one day, and had left a shooting box open 6-7 feet off to my right...about halfway through the session, I stepped over to get some more patches or something and was amazed by all the debris that had accumulated on all the surfaces...

A week ago I set a cleaning patch on fire that was on the bench next to me. Luckely it was my bench. So yea, I think so. You won't find me standing in line on the touchhole side of a flintlock shooter.

Back