• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everybody. As a new guy to the traditional muzzleloader community, I have been curious about building vs buying.
If one were to start with a perfectly clean work bench, what tools would be required to build a rifle from a kit, and what would you estimate the cost to be?
I am getting more and more interested in classic muzzleloaders, and I want to make sure that I am doing things right. Like most folks these days, I don't have a ton of cash laying around (working in LE after being laid off) so I can't do a $2k custom.
Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum Matt.
There are kits and there are kits.
Some require nearly a full shop of tools.
Others have more done and require only basic woodworking hand tools and maybe a few files.
An "in the white" kit is basically a completed rifle that needs sanding and finishing. Screwdrivers, sandpaper and a wood finish are what are needed.
Do check out the descriptions of offerings by the suppliers and watch the forum here.
You will get other responses that should answer your question more fully.
Good luck.

Hey Matt... I just started back in the BP community, and started to build a component rifle just recently. Some of the tools that tI have had to get or need are:

- 1/4" chisel
- 3/8" chisel
- 1/8" chisel (I like this for the tight areas, but you could do without it)
- Xacto knife (I like the blunt tip as it can be used to shave chisel when I just need a hair of wood to be removed)
- Mill file
- Mainspring vise
- Hammer (I use the one I normally use for gun smithing that has the hard rubber head on it)
- stones to sharpen your chisel's on
- drill press (I guess you could get away without one, one I already had one and it has come in handy.
- A vise on your workbench to keep your work stable... I think some of the guys have two
- Sanding block
- Sureform sander
- Veneer Calipers
- I'm sure there is a ton more that I'm just not thinking of right this minute

A good idea would be to get the book "The Gunsmith of Grenville County". It will show you a nice list of the tools you may need. It also is packed with how to build one of these.

One doesn't need to go out and buy it all at once.
Get your kit/parts first then get what you need as you go along. It's a learning experience as well as a building experience.
If you really get into and love this hobby, cost is irrelivent. :wink:

BTW, I like to make some of my own tools, when I can. I often prowl flea markets and antique shops. You can find some useful bargains in them. I'll buy screwdrivers and modify for gun work. The tips can be ground to fit special screws. I have heated the ends with a propane torch, pounded and ground into scrapers and chisles. Handy, work fine and cost almost nothing.

that Ohio fellow is right ... you should get a copy of Alexander's The Gunsmith of Grenville County, and you should read it and then re- read it.

This will give you a good idea of the steps involved and the order in which they happen, and why the order is important.

Alexander's book has you buying a zillion tools, but I disagree ... only get what you need ...

Track of the Wolf has a bent chisel (1/8 inch, if I remember ...)

here it is:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/445/1/CHISEL-BC-18

there is a larger one, too ... heck, for that price you should get them both ...

good luck with your build!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hershel House has a great DVD out too (Building a Kentucky Rifle) that is great. Only issue is he makes is look so damn easy, but then again he has been building these for quite some time so I bet he could do them in his sleep. Anyhow, great DVD's by him that show a lot of what the book describes.

MSW said:
Alexander's book has you buying a zillion tools, but I disagree ... only get what you need ...

Track of the Wolf has a bent chisel (1/8 inch, if I remember ...)

here it is:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/445/1/CHISEL-BC-18

there is a larger one, too ... heck, for that price you should get them both ...

good luck with your build!

I use those chisels all the time. Have straight & bent ones in 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8". Got them from Wayne Dunlap. Awesome lil chisels, easy to sharpen & hold a pretty good edge.

Probably use them more than any other tool building a rifle.

Keith Lisle

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems I use those bent chisels more than I do any other tool. I have gotten my money's worth and then some. Plus they are easy to sharpen. I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet but if you are only planning on buying one gun and don't have any tools, the 2000.00 might actually be cheaper than buying a good quality part set (kit) and all the tools. Now if you have some tools already and like the rest of us get hooked, go ahead and build one. You'll open up a life long hobby and have a ton of fun and satisfaction in the process.

Back