• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Took my friends son deer hunting, but it did not end up as expected.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we moved back to Indiana we stayed with my Father in law until our house was done. It was the "Last house up the holler". Literally. Got strays and drop offs. Most were moved on down the road, several died on the spot, the kids were little and there was no choice.

Don

When we moved out to the island in 85, we had routine trouble with the "drop them off to find a good home in the country" crowd. Those abandoned dogs would "pack up" and come after our animals. My wife got quite adept at dealing with them with her Glenfield. She always hated doing it, feeling sorry for the dogs, but feeling more for her chickens and goats.

Sounds like the weird experience ended as well as could be expected. Well done.

Back in the 80's when I was living in Oregon we lived in an unincorporated area between Troutdale and Gresham, OR. My wife and I managed a small apartment complex next to a big field. A housing development had gone in about 1/2 mile down the road and folks had started to move in there. A number of them had dogs and after 5 pm, they'd just let them roam wild. Animal control was called many times but those folks knew that after 5PM, Animal Control was closed. They started traveling around in packs and folks started losing their pets to these dogs. Suddenly, this big German Shepard mix broke through the screen, grabbed our cat and started trotting off across the field.

My wife managed to pull here very pregnant self out of bed, grab the M1 carbine and get to the front door. Dog was about 75-yards away at this point. She yelled at the dog; he turned around and looked back at her with our cat hanging out of his mouth. She shot him in the neck and dropped him. Surprisingly, the cat was not dead nor badly injured. She brought our cat back home, and called the County Sheriff. Sheriff came out and took the dog, asked if my wife was OK, and said he'd turn the dog's body over to Animal Control in the morning. Said they'd had a lot of trouble recently with roaming dogs grabbing and killing cats and small dogs. Said he would report this as road kill.

My wife doesn't particularly like guns, but she grew up on a farm and is a dead-eye shot . She also has a very strong protective instinct. That dog obviously made a fatal mistake thinking he could just grab her cat and trot off with it.

In California it is legal to use one dog per hunter while hunting deer. I respectfully suggest things will not end well should someone take a shot at Kayko.

IMG_0224.jpg

We bought a 60 acre ranch in 1976. I had horses and blackbuck antelope along with some mouflon sheep. One morning I heard barking behind the house and investigated with my .38 revolver. A pack of 8 dogs had 2 horses cornered and I snuck in trying to get a close shot. It was real thick with vines. I shot one female that looked part bird dog. The lead dog was a ringer for Ol' Yeller. I cocked the pistol and shot at "Ol' Yeller" when he came at me. I pulled the trigger and the hammer came down on a grape vine instead of firing the gun. On the second try, I missed because I was scared. He was only 5 yards away. The shot caused them all to run except the dead female.

After losing 3 mouflon and 2 antelope, we waged war on the feral dogs. Over 18 months we killed 62 (not a typo) dogs and pups. I have had few problems with dogs since then.

Several years ago i was attacked by a large Samoyed while opening a gate. i shot that dog dead. Fast forward to this very morning.

i had opened the garage door to put out garbage when a huge black pit bull came running and put his paws on my chest. Nearly had a heart attack. The dog was collared.

The monster young dog simply wanted to play. Indulged him for about five minutes and went into then house to get a camera. Came back out and dog had disappeared.

Here in California a dog on your property that is harassing or is known to harass or kill any livestock or chickens, etc. can be shot by the property owner and there is no recourse by the owner of the dog.

I am speaking of rural areas here where livestock and/or chickens are raised. We are in a very small rural town in the mountains of the high desert. We have chickens, ducks, pigs.

Obviously in the city this would be a different matter.
In Ohio, back in 1959, a neighbor's dog kept killing our family livestock. My dad knew the owner and repeatedly asked him to restrain his dog. After yet another incident my dad warned the neighbor that the next time it happened he would shoot the dog. It wasn't long until it happened again. We had been to town. Upon returning home we saw the same dog and several dead chickens scattered about a field next to our farmhouse. Dad was furious. Saying nothing he went into the house and got a rifle. Mom and us kids just sat in the car and watched. Dad took careful aim and shot and killed the dog with one bullet. We all then went inside the house. I saw my dad on the phone telling the neighbor if he wanted to bury his dog to come and get it. The neighbor came, got the dog and left saying nothing. That was the end of that.

Practice point or instinctive and weak hand, most gun fights take place at 10 to 15 yards with a average of 5-7 shots, never let anything get within your circle of defense 21 feet, and never forget to scan the area of incident for secondary threats, be safe.
Exactly so! An adversary (human or animal) can be on you instantly, full bore. Also you are 100% correct about secondary threats! It must be instinct to focus on the immediate threat, most people seem to zero in, unknowingly ignoring other threats that are not right in front of them. Police and other trained people are much more likely to see peripheral danger. It's hard to keep your head when the deadly threat seems to only be the one in front of you. A pack of dogs or humans will try to flank you every time.

I rode with a deputy sheriff for 3 years. I always identified the immediate threat but never saw any peripheral threats. I was a much better shot than most of the deputies because I have tunnel vision. I believe that this is the reason for "spray and pray" among LE officers. They identify threats to the sides and this distracts them from 'taking out' the main threat.

If were were an LEO, I wouldn't survive long.

I rode with a deputy sheriff for 3 years. I always identified the immediate threat but never saw any peripheral threats. I was a much better shot than most of the deputies because I have tunnel vision. I believe that this is the reason for "spray and pray" among LE officers. They identify threats to the sides and this distracts them from 'taking out' the main threat.

If were were an LEO, I wouldn't survive long.
Well, everybody can't be Jack Bauer... :cool: 🔫

We came home late to a surprise yesterday, we had a new member added to the family. The kid is surprising sure footed for being only 24 hours old. They sure come out pretty darn cute just to grow up to just be an old goat :) (see picture below). Anyway, we just use them as pets and for lawn mowers. The goats do a fine job of reducing my bush cutting time!

Just to clear a few things up. I never intended the original post to be controversial. Here on the East side of the Mississippi, especially in Southern, Illinois I have felt pretty safe roaming the woods, hiking, hunting and especially doing chores on my own property. No issues for a number of years as we just don't have the apex predators like some other areas of the country. No bears, wolfs, or mountain lions / cougars, sure I've seen bobcats and coyotes, but that has been about it. Around this area, I just took for granted we are pretty safe. That being said, it just never dawned on me that I would be using my flintlock hunting rifle a personal protection. Like some of you, I have completed situation awareness training / dignitary protection and was required to prove proficiency with a number of weapons. I suppose that I why I like muzzleloaders, it takes me back to a simpler time. I assure all of you the situation got ugly quick, I had initially entered the barn lot to protect my livestock, in the end when the dogs turned toward me I was protecting myself. I took no pleasure in taking the dog, in fact I was greatly disappointed that it wasn't a nice deer. I have taken my share of deer, just not with a flintlock. By starting this thread, I simply wanted to help others, who normally feel safe on a familiar piece of property, understand anything can happen at any time. Be prepared! I know I will be carrying a secondary weapon with me next deer season!!!

Resized_20210330_182809.jpg

Before we moved from Georgia a few years ago we lived on a dirt road some two miles from the nearest paved road. People incessantly dropped off dogs along our road. Feral packs were common and I accidently ran across a few while hunting. A married couple near us were killed by a pack of feral dogs during a walk. Nuff said about that.

Most of these poor dogs died out there and it was heartbreaking to find them. Our house was the only one around so a few dogs and one little kitty cat ended up at our front door. The kitty had a horrible infection but a vet fixed her up. Two dogs, both large, were skin and bones, literally, with torn & bloody paws. One couldn't manage to stand up without help. We nursed, fed and kept the dogs and added them to our dog family. A pit bull arrived and he was a real sweety but one of the rescues didn't like him so we had to give him away. I had to shoot one heartbreaking little dog that was on death's door from from disease and that still bothers me. Being a passionate dog lover I found this situation traumatic and had a rough time dealing with it.

The dogs these heartless people dumped were worth more than the miserable humans who betrayed them. Dogs do not automatically survive when they are selfishly abandoned. The survivors may be allowed to join a pack if the pack doesn't kill them first. Most perish from starvation and loneliness. Such a shame.

Latest posts

Back