• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Toilet bowl cleaner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They said you shoot like manure - not shoot manure
Thats not what they meant when the said let's go shoot the manure
Brings a new meaning to a crappy shot
Well that explains the rotted egg smell
OK end of crappy jokes - haha

Phosphoric acid is the main active ingredient in metal preps I use before painting metal. It leaves an etched finish that paint adheres to very well. Personally I would prefer a smooth polished finish in the bore rather than an etched finish that stuff adheres to, but maybe that’s just me being unreasonable.
Prepping cars for paint is most of my phosphoric acid experience and I haven’t tried it in a bore. Removed some rust before re-browning but lightly sanded and filed before browning. I do feel a phosphoric product would be much more helpful than toilet cleaner or hydrochloric acid. In cleaning a pitted bore if I used it, I would lap the bore afterwards until shiny. The slight etching down in the pitting I would hope helps prevent more corrosion there.

The works is not something I would use for a bore. If it was heavily rusted, to see what is left, Phosphoric acid is a good way to remove every trace of rust. Coke has it to add tanginess. Hydrochloric acid works much faster than phosphoric but every bit of it will have to be removed and it is difficult to do so. Also, when de-rusting objects, it will combine with the good metal and cause surface embrittlement. Which is not a good thing for thinner metal objects. Phosphoric acid does not do this and leaves a phosphate coating behind. Chrysler (probably others) dipped their car bodies in the stuff prior to paint in the 1940's to prevent rust. Rust is hard to stop in pits. This will do it. Obviously the bore has to be lapped afterward and of course really bad pitting will catch on patches, and it is a ruined bore from the rusting anyway.

Well has anyone ever used the works toilet bowl cleaner. To remove corrosion from a barrel?
Two questions:
1) Why would anyone use toilet products on a good firearm?
2) why would anyone be interested in anyone using toilet products on firearms?

Are all the firearms care products manufacturers going out of business?

Okay, three questions, the only one I am concerned with is the third.

Latest posts

Back