• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips from the server room - static

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpro3656

32 Cal
Reaction score
Probably more helpful in the colder times, but if you find yourself getting a lot of static build up give your carpets/car seats/etc a light spray down of half Downey fabric softener and half water

Maybe more useful for those here if you have static happening in plastic powder tubes, your reloading bench powder measure etc then giving them a wipe out with a Bounce dryer sheet or similar will kill the static and keep it from building back up for a while.

Probably more helpful in the colder times, but if you find yourself getting a lot of static build up give your carpets/car seats/etc a light spray down of half Downey fabric softener and half water

Maybe more useful for those here if you have static happening in plastic powder tubes, your reloading bench powder measure etc then giving them a wipe out with a Bounce dryer sheet or similar will kill the static and keep it from building back up for a while.
Soooo, are you a BOT or a POS -SCAMMER, or BOTH?
Why would you copy & paste that from my friends thread in the modern forum?

Plastic tubes? Reloading bench?? What does any of this have to do with traditional muzzleloaders?

No, I didn't. The OP is referring to things that have nothing to do with traditional muzzleloaders, particularly reloading benches.
On the contrary, static electricity IS a concern for traditional muzzleloaders when they're fabricating paper cartridges with which to charge their muzzle loaders. Not even to mention other activities like filling powder flasks, etc.

Would you have been happier if the OP had referred to a "loading bench" instead of a "reloading bench"?

Last edited:
On the contrary, static electricity IS a concern for traditional muzzleloaders when they're fabricating paper cartridges with which to charge their muzzle loaders. Not even to mention other activities like filling powder flasks, etc.

Would you have been happier if the OP had referred to a "loading bench" instead of a "reloading bench"?
Yup, for a range trip I prefill tubes to make range time easier

Soooo, are you a BOT or a POS -SCAMMER, or BOTH?
Why would you copy & paste that from my friends thread in the modern forum?

But seeing the original source I think this is the more important question that y'all have ignored

Proof please.
Are you saying a static charge can NOT ignite BP?

How about a cell phone at a gas station? I've never heard of one doing it but I know from over 40 years in radio communications that the potential is there. The potential is also there for a cell phone to ignite BP.

All it takes is an arc or spark. You can throw a spark as easily as plugging in a power cord. Dry conditions increase the chances. Most of us take precautions without ever knowing about it. Many precautions are built into things. But some also insist on being stupid about it and place a second, third and even a sixth round in that cylinder before placing the barrel to their head.

Last edited:
I would agree the chances are slim. More the result of manufacturing efforts and not end use precautions. But as I said, the potential is there. There have been numerous explosions throughout history involving the storage and manufacture of BP and a spark. Go research it yourself. I don't lead people to what they should be able to find for themselves. And while you're at it, you might want to change your light bulb!

I have.
I have found no evidence of it ever happening. No one here has ever provided and example of it happening,,, in the many discussions that have come up on it over the years. And that lack of examples includes people trying to make it happen.
Static electricity like we would commonly find from socks on a carpet and environmental conditions is not hot enough long enough to ignite a solid substance like BP.

Gasoline does not ignite from static,,,, gasoline vapors do,,,, big difference.

However, unlike many here,,, I am open to having my mind changed. Show me an example of static igniting BP.
I will add it to my "sky is falling," list of things here that I am waiting for mind changing evidence for. Static ignition of BP and an example of someone blowing up a gun because the powder used was 4f as a main charge would probably be my top two.

I have.
I have found no evidence of it ever happening. No one here has ever provided and example of it happening,,, in the many discussions that have come up on it over the years. And that lack of examples includes people trying to make it happen.
Static electricity like we would commonly find from socks on a carpet and environmental conditions is not hot enough long enough to ignite a solid substance like BP.

Gasoline does not ignite from static,,,, gasoline vapors do,,,, big difference.

However, unlike many here,,, I am open to having my mind changed. Show me an example of static igniting BP.
I will add it to my "sky is falling," list of things here that I am waiting for mind changing evidence for. Static ignition of BP and an example of someone blowing up a gun because the powder used was 4f as a main charge would probably be my top two.

I am with you on this Brokennock, can't happen. If it was true there be a ton of evidence of it happening and there just isn't. Just another wife's tale that has been repeated enough that people believe it.

I am with you on this Brokennock, can't happen. If it was true there be a ton of evidence of it happening and there just isn't. Just another wife's tale that has been repeated enough that people believe it.
There are so many of these, and they just refuse to die regardless of evidence to the contrary,,,, it is very frustrating.
But, like I've said, I am open to having my mind changed.

Back