• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TiPis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkmeyer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been reading up on TiPis and am interested in hearing from folks and their thoughts on brands etc. I am considering buying one and don't want to make a wrong choice.
Dusy

Hey Buddy- I don't own one, but know of some who do. I would recommend you get a copy of the Panter Primative catalog and go over the information there..... very extensive and informative.

The most obvious thing to consider in getting a tipi as compaired to other shelters is the amount of wood you would need to pack along and how difficult they are to set up. Definately not a one man job. But... if you have your heart set on one, PP is a good place to start. Good luck and happy camping!

Tipis are great if ya don't mind carrying all the poles. Actually pretty easy to set up except on a windy day. Hardest part is learning to use the flaps to get the smoke out of the inside, I lived in one for 9 months once just to see what it was like, started in Aug n went right on through till the next summer. Got used to the cold living outside 24/7 and was comfortable with only a small fire inside most nights. There are several good books on the market that explain much of the history n how to set one up, Laubin If I remember right is the author of one. Size pretty much depends on how many people will be living inside, a 16 footer is nice for two or a snug three, but any more then 3 n ya ought to go with a 18footer. Do some reading before ya try to set one up n practice out in the yard before ya go to an event, put it up n take it down several times to get familier with the process. hope this helps some YMHS Birdman

You should probably read up on the differences between three pole vs four pole tipi's, too. I bought Laubin's book and then wound up buying a Blackfoot style (rather than Sioux) lodge, and it's a different animal as far as set-up is concerned. I like it, it works well, but it did make for one steep learning curve!

I've got a 16' lodge, and use & set it up alone. Cut & prepared all the poles myself, btw. I stay in it with just a dog and a cat, and sometimes a visitor (when I can convince her!), and it's very roomy and comfortable. Easy to heat, plenty of room for me and lots of gear.

(As an aside: I may actually like my Baker tent more than my tipi. Neither are appropriate for my region / time period, and I really love the open setup of the Baker.)

You either love 'um or hate them! Guess I was in between, as I have owned two over the years. The biggest pain was transporting the poles and all the junk needed to set it up. Had tried a rack on my van and even a trailer made especially for me.

Yes, they really look cool, but during our hard Nebraska winters, you would be constantly adjusting the smoke flaps to keep from choking to death on smoke or freezing your tail feathers off when your fire started to fade during the night!

Yes, I used a liner and ozon, but still never camped in the winter cold weather and could say that I was actually warm and comfortable.

Finally got smart and got myself a wall tent and stove and enjoyed clean warm heat, no damn smoke and only three shorter poles to pack along!

Rick

Thanks guys for the input, I am still on the fence and have plenty of time to decide. Now is probably a good time to order but want to be sure about the whole thing.
Dusty

Dogs leave footprints ....
I have several large dogs (wolf mix/German Sheppard) - With them I love my 18 foot tipi... especially when it is bad wet weather ... You still have enough headroom and enougs space to walk around ... try that in a little tent with 2 or 3 rather large bodies laying around everywhere in your tent.... If you are thinking about taking the dogs with you - I surely recommend a tipi...

Tipis work good as a church ... the devil can't corner you :grin:

If you do a Google search there is a web site that has all the facts and manufactures on tipis. It is a great site with much historic information and hundreds of photos. I think the the site uses the Sioux spelling for tipis or somthing. But it is the only one like it on the web.

If you want a good tipi call Four Seasons Tentmasters in Sandcreek, Mi 517-436-6246
They build the best, bar none. :thumbsup:

Back