• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tip Curtis Lehigh Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings

Is anyone here on the forum who has one built by Tip Curtis? I have an opportunity to get one from him at a decent price. I'm curious how his Lehigh looks like since he's not able to send me the pictures.
All and any input appreciated.

Michael

I just got one from him a week ago. It is the best rifle I have bought so far. And that includes the 4 I got from TVM including the $2,500 early Virginia that just sits in the closet.

Mine is a 40 caliber Lehigh and fit and finish is flawless. I will take some pictures and post them.

rfd said:
got tip building me a carolina flinter right now, but no pix, sorry, cain't help ya.

I was there and think i saw it laying on the bench :blah:

should be a nice one~!

I WISH i lived next door to Tip!!!!! :bow:

Where the Lancaster rifles have a rather straight comb and a straight belly on the bottom of the butt, the Lehigh style rifle usually has a gently curved comb and the bottom of the butt or belly is also curved downward.

The amount of curvature of the comb and belly varies with the different builders and the one in this photo of a Peter Newhart gun is not as pronounced as some of the other builders guns.

The picture is from page 239 of George Shumways excellent book "Rifles of Colonial America", Vol 1.

LEHIGH_zpsfa26bb5c.jpg

The Lehigh style of LR is difficult to "get right".... especially the stepped wrist and wrist top line. The wrist actually gets larger as it approaches the comb. Also the complementary curves of the comb and toe lines are difficult to "pull off" so "they" look right and together w/ the wrist outline, probably is the most difficult butt outline of any style LR.

Thought of building a Rupp Lehigh and having the butt shape profiled, but never got around to it, although I had an excellent set of hardware and compiled a long list of Lehigh attributes.

Some shooters experience "cheek slap" w/ the Lehigh style of butt architecture, but some builders specializing in this style produce Lehighs that don't punish the cheek. My 2nd LR from a blank was a Lehigh and was a "cheek slapper" because the combline curve was wrong and it also had too much castoff.

Not many LRs are as attractive as a well designed and made Lehigh. Anyone willing to post pics of their Lehighs for our viewing pleasure?.....Fred

Hi Michael,
I don't know how a Tip Curtis Lehigh looks although FlashPan Dan posted some photos, which don't show the profile clearly. Below are some photos of a Jacob Kuntz rifle that is a classic, albeit fancy, late golden age Lehigh rifle. The profile is complicated but some features are typical, slight Roman nose, slight step, curved underside of the butt stock, thickening wrist, large lock with very narrow surrounding lock panels, muzzlecap open ended, forestock with "V" cross section, often the wrist is wider than tall, and often more than half of the barrel width is exposed above the wood. Complicated but beautiful guns.

dave

Kuntz1_zps4d18275b.png

kuntz15_zpsc9585a82.png

My jaw dropped. Incredible pieces. Just incredible. I would probably sell my car to finance one like this.
Thank You for sharing

Dave Person said:
Hi Michael,
I don't know how a Tip Curtis Lehigh looks although FlashPan Dan posted some photos, which don't show the profile clearly. Below are some photos of a Jacob Kuntz rifle that is a classic, albeit fancy, late golden age Lehigh rifle. The profile is complicated but some features are typical, slight Roman nose, slight step, curved underside of the butt stock, thickening wrist, large lock with very narrow surrounding lock panels, muzzlecap open ended, forestock with "V" cross section, often the wrist is wider than tall, and often more than half of the barrel width is exposed above the wood. Complicated but beautiful guns.

dave

Kuntz1_zps4d18275b.png

kuntz15_zpsc9585a82.png

:shake: not MY style.....would be nice to have aoriginal over the mantel....but not for me....so you guys...i won't ever be bidding against you~not on these!
but IF you wanted one...i betcha Fred could build you one :bow:

For you Fred.

Here's one from the Lehigh Jedi, Allen Martin.

P1010003-2-1.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Here's one of mine...... No comparison. I am but a humble apprentice.

DSC00214.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Definitely one of the most difficult styles to pull off. But a beauty to behold.

I really enjoy the lines of Lehigh style. I've seen a couple since I posted this topic, and just can't get over it.
You built this one? Came out very nice. Colors are magnificent on this maple.

Working on Stophil Long build from Dave Keck right now. The deal with Lehighs is that they aren't a popular style. Probably because they ARE so difficult to "get right" architectually, and they have a reputation as cheek slappers, and the toe of the butt doesn't stay put under your arm the way a style with a more pointy one would.

That's a good information here. I checked with few owners and they seem to enjoy it much regardless of all that. Perchaps they just fell in love in them...

Dane...thanks much for posting 2 beautiful Lehighs. They are unique and judging from my very difficult to obtain "list" of Lehigh charateristics and features, these 2 do "have it all".

Due to their "petite architecture" and if you'd be so kind, what is the web thickness at the breech and did it pose any problems?

Nearly makes one want to build a Lehigh, but then I look at the "list" and the "urge" goes away.

Another question....did you build your Lehigh before or after you rec'd Martin's....they seem to be "sisters"? Again, thanks for the pics.....Fred

All of these disk are well worth what they charge for 'em. The first two are black & white photos much like you see in the RCA books but the rest are high resolution color. The Moravian one is particularly great, if you like the early stuff....some of the oldest American guns.

Great stocking stuffers! :wink: Enjoy, J.D.

Fred,

Well, that is my second Lehigh. I believe it was completed before I got the Martin rifle. However, Allen gave me the profile drawing before I started, and coached me along the way. The profiles are similar, but definitely not the same. If you could see the detail in the carving on Allen's rifle, you'd be awe struck. Great person, and as you can tell, an incredible builder.
The KRA CD that was mentioned has amazing, super high quality photos. Mine was built after John Rupp #6 on that CD.
The web thickness @ the breech is only 3/32". The rear bolt had to be filed into the bottom of the barrel, and the ramrod tapered down to 5/16". These babies are skinny!!! 48" swamped barrels. The barrel on Allen's was supposed to be a .54, but ended up a .50. Turned out to be a great deal, hangs like a straight barrel, but has the heft and feel of a swamp.

Back