• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tinfoil cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ajxilj.jpg

-from the February 1993 Gun Report, "The Colt Cartridge Works" by Terry A. White. The article contains the text and a drawing from Colt's unsuccessful 1851 patent application for tin foil cartridges.

Could be, it has been some time but I am fortunate enough to live near one of the regional depositories of the US Patent office. The last time I was there the information was still on microfiche but I am pretty certain there was some sort of a cork wad on the base of a conical or "sugarloaf" ball/bullet, but I might be wrong- it is just my recollection. I think it was with the tin case but it could have been paper. I thought I had copied everything but I checked my files and couldn't find what I thought I had.
This thread has sort of re-kindled my interest in this entire subject. As I said I know that D.C. Sage and Colt were the two big manufacturers followed by Johnston & Dow and then Bartholow (and those that followed his design). I know the Richmond Arsenal made them and they were made in Europe BUT there are a lot of blank areas in the whole thing that I need to research more.
I suppose the most important thing about the whole subject is the realization that in the percussion revolver we really have a unque firearm that technologically speaking was ahead of its time. It seems the military almost universally used combustible cartridges for percussion revolvers, at least from say 1855. We think the 1873 Peacemaker was a big improvement but with the Peacemaker you had to remove the brass cases and put in new ones whereas with the percussion revolver you just loaded in fresh cartridges but still had to cap the nipples. The time to reload probably wasn't that different. It seems that percussion revolvers were often carried in pairs and when used with combustible represented a huge jump in sustained firepower.

Latest posts

Back