• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thundermug load question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking for a boomer last year and based on suggestions that I got here I bought a thunder mug instead of a mortar. Tried it first at 100gr FF. Just got a big THUT. Then went to around 200 gr and I knew i was getting there. The last load was at somewhere around 250-300 gr and man was that LOUD! Used a newspaper wad on top of the powder.
Afterwards, IIRC I saw a post that for cannons, that the rule of thumb is wall thickness equals or excedes the bore diam. That is for shooting projectiles. I have a 1" bore and wall thickness of 0.25". The tube is made of 1144 steel with a heavy steel base. It feels very substantial but I want to make sure that I'm being safe. I NEVER intend to shoot any kind of projectile out of this thing, just make noise. If you have some experience with this type of ear blaster can you recommend a (safe) upper limit of powder charge? Also, I use FF because F is very hard to find here.

The barrel walls are too thin, what if someone in the future DOES shoot a projectile ? with a bunch of smokless powder?
JMHO

Good Luck Gary

Ok I get it. I got sold a bill of goods. So is there a recommended bore to wall thickness ratio for a thunder mug, or is it the same as for a cannon bore? BTW, was my memory correct as to bore = wall thickness?

Rule of three works for me! Original Thunder Mugs were mostly chambers from breech loading cannons that were repurposed.

BTW, Happy Birthday!

Yep you were right 1in bore 1in walls 3in diameter or replace the 1 with another number I just don't feel like doing any math :haha:

Back