• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Throwing Knife for Rendezvous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have been throwing a homemade knife that I made 15 or so yrs ago. I am no way a champion thrower just enough to get a couple of extra points on a woodswalk. I keep my knife sharp as a few times have had to cut a string on a walk. As imho a woodswalk is the best shooting around. :2

Made my 1st trip yo the Crazy Crow "store" which is only about 40 miles north from my office. I looked at their throwing knife and bought it. I can easily make this but I need instant gratification, so I bought it.

I have some oak log sections from a tree that died a couple of years ago that I have set up to learn how to throw hawk and knife on.

So it's practice, practice, practice.

Oak ain't so good.
You can stick in it, but it's a real hard wood and likes to hang onto what's stuck in it.
Can be real hard to pull a knife or hawk and points break off or bend.
Better off with a big pine if you have'm
Cotton wood works,
Willow is said to be the best.

Oak is what I have, so Oak it is. Plenty of that around here. Not many big pines. There are big cottonwoods in the river bottoms, but not available to me.

Around here meaning N. Texas. I do have access to some pine logs and and big pine blocks leftover from our cabin build in Cuchara. But I won't get back there until Memorial Day weekend.

Oak is also what we are using at the club competitions here.

Old Virginia Joe said:
I recently made my own from a small scrap of flat bar mild steel, shaping it with a 4 inch angle grinder, ending up about 13 inches long, 1.5 inch wide, and my 3 little boys and I all used it at this spring's rendezvous and in the backyard. Nuthin fancy, but it works pretty well.

I was at the thrift store last week and saw a used, very thick leather weight lifting waist belt by DP for sale. I knew it was something I needed for material for making something for rendezvous, but I could not remember what. Reading this post right now, it finally hit me! I needed some thick, stiff leather material like that for my grip scales for my homemade throwing knife handle! We have been using it with the handle simply bare steel. I will still have plenty of good leather left over for another knife, or other projects in the future. Just my idea of making something from something else!

I love re-purposing stuff, a lot of my shirts for rondys come from re-purposed bed sheets found at thrift stores. My throwing knife is made out of a scrap piece of 3/8 x 2 flat bar. It's heaver than most people like, however, I've always thrown a fairly heavy hawk, (Growing up I learned to throw using my dads hawk, which had a head that weighed at least 3 lbs) so when it was time to make a throwing knife, I wanted something that felt natural to me weight wise.

I have found that Kari in Finland makes the best and his prices are reasonable. You can find his work and contact information by going to "axeman.us"! He had several at last years Eastern.He is an old time mountain man and a wonderful fellow to camp with. :hmm:

I made a few this last week, but here is the latest one.

RandallandJohnsonBowie1.jpg

I have leather for the handles, but decided to put some wood scales on it for show.

I also recommend Kari's knlfes. I own the hawk on the web page. My girls call him Papa. If you meet him at a vous don't drink his coffee LOL. He is a good friend and slightly crazy.

I also use weight lifting belts to cut up for throwing knife scales. Nice thick leather and cheap too when found in thrift stores. I replace the scales on my kids knives regularly since they have a tendency to destroy them far more often than I do.

Straight from Kari's mouth:" What do American coffee, Budwisser and the Titanic's state room have in common ? Answer: "They are too @#$% close to water! :idunno: :yakyak: :bow:

I am a firm believer that hawk throwing is just a matter of practice. Knie throwing is magic! :idunno: :idunno:

Back