• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on recent build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdbeck

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just finished this Southpaw, just here to share and receive feedback! No patchbox was requested.

Inspired by my ancestors but not a copy of any particular rifle or time.

Enjoy:

IMG_1209.jpeg

Better than I can do. If I may be a bit critical, The fore-end and butt-stock look a bit 'thick'. More wood could of been removed. But like I said, better than I could do myself.

Better than I can do. If I may be a bit critical, The fore-end and butt-stock look a bit 'thick'. More wood could of been removed. But like I said, better than I could do myself.
That’s always the challenge right! I trace along the barrel with a 1/16 bit and pencil and then work it down to the line.

Just finished this Southpaw, just here to share and receive feedback! No patchbox was requested.

Inspired by my ancestors but not a copy of any particular rifle or time.

Enjoy:

View attachment 236405
From what I can see in the pictures it looks good to me ! Nice work! I'd have to get my hands on it, feel the profiles and heft the gun to know if you really got it right. Some guns can look really good and then feel and heft like a pick axe. I think yours will feel and heft fine though from the look.

Nice work. To my eye it looks like the wood is too high up the side flat of the barrel. For a slender look the wood-to-metal connection should be just below half way of the flat. This lets the foreend be more rounded and avoids the slab sided look. Inlet the lock properly then you can cheat by sloping the wood to the right height right in front of the lock. It will never be seen.

Last edited:
Mr. Beck, I’ve been watching your builds and am liking what I see. Keep it up and let’s see some more videos on your builds 👍

From what I can see in the pictures it looks good to me ! Nice work! I'd have to get my hands on it, feel the profiles and heft the gun to know if you really got it right. Some guns can look really good and then feel and heft like a pick axe. I think yours will feel and heft fine though from the look.
I’ll give that a try on the next one! Thank you.

Back