• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Bought from S&W

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be curious to see a release of what they plan to do for sure and for that matter what they ended up with. When S&W didn't get a buyer in what they thought was a reasonable amount of time they started selling off pieces. SSK Industries bought the rights to both of the break action unmentionables, renamed and started producing them. It's hard telling what else got sold off before this group picked up the actual name and leftovers.

I have 4 TC muzzleloaders made by the old TC as well as an unmentionable built here in NH by former employees of TC before their fledgling company was also gobbled up by S & W . TC made great guns back in the day with Ritz at the Helm but he’s followed suit with all the other “big name” hunters sitting on huge chunks of private property waiting for huge crop and supplement fed animals that face no hunting pressure to just wander into whatever field their watching in broad daylight to be shot on their TV shows. I doubt manufacturing side locks can generate the money and sponsorships that Ritz is looking for.

How much would you be willing to pay for a new US made TC hawken or renegade? I would wager that they would have to charge $200-300 more than an equivalent Pedersoli. How many are buying at $1200-1500?

Although as I think about it why would they be that expensive. Barrels should be cheaper to make than modern stuff. The stocks could largely be made with CNC equipment and the locks are could probably be manufactured using a cast backing plate and mostly MIM parts these days.
Would love to see them build a plains rifle equal to or better in quality than the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain and Missouri Hawken rifles. R&D three or four models the customer base historically favors and make them the best, just shy of a custom build.

Google His name and see what comes up first.
Nothing new or at least most of us didn't already know outside of the recent announcement of topic and it looks like they acquired and reopened the website/store. Does say new product line coming in 2025 and TBA.

I agree with some of the others on here. The TC of old is long gone. Whatever is done with it now most likely will not harken back to those days.

Would love to see them build a plains rifle equal to or better in quality than the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain and Missouri Hawken rifles. R&D three or four models the customer base historically favors and make them the best, just shy of a custom build.
The “customer base” are all shooting cheater guns now. They buy muzzleloaders so they can get another Bambi and want it to be just like a modern gun. They don’t want icky side locks or inconvenience.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic. I have four T/C ML's and one center fire breach loader and I like them all. But if I was a businessman, I guess I'd have to produce what pays the bills. I'm still going to hope though.

In the case of product manufacturing, it's good to see a company separate from a conglomerate. There's too much consolidation in the industry. However, if S&W gutted the company as someone posted, what was left to buy, the name?

In the case of product manufacturing, it's good to see a company separate from a conglomerate. There's too much consolidation in the industry. However, if S&W gutted the company as someone posted, what was left to buy, the name?
Look up the announcement from S&W. The name and intellectual property was what was mentioned. However, there had to have been some remaining inventory as the group that bought it has a new Web site with a link to a reopened TC web store.
Smith had already been selling off pieces though. Like I said in another post. Someone else bought the rights to the single shots and has them in production under a different name.

Likely - Jim Kibler will offer a high quality Hawken kit within several years.
I agree with most that the new T/C will cater to markets other than traditional muzzleloaders.

Until more states get on board like PA and change the rules on arms that can be used in the "Primitive" seasons then the more traditional arms will not be produced by many companies. As far as the question would I spend 12 -1500 on an American made muzzle loader? Heck Yeah, just did. And by the quality of rifle I received I'll happily buy more from him.

Until more states get on board like PA and change the rules on arms that can be used in the "Primitive" seasons then the more traditional arms will not be produced by many companies. As far as the question would I spend 12 -1500 on an American made muzzle loader? Heck Yeah, just did. And by the quality of rifle I received I'll happily buy more from him.
Sadly most states are doing what mine has been doing. Changing rules that allow things that can barely be called a muzzleloader to be used while at the same time including wording so as to exclude the vintage true muzzleloaders.
A case in point would be .40 cal.. while I haven't seen the final wording as it will appear in the regulations book this year. The proposed wording in the emails I got about it before going through the approval process set a minimum ft lbs requirement high enough that only umentionables would meet the requirement.

Trouble is the States are after money & lots of it. My State even changed primitive season to alternative. Just the name should give everyone a clue

How much would you be willing to pay for a new US made TC hawken or renegade? I would wager that they would have to charge $200-300 more than an equivalent Pedersoli. How many are buying at $1200-1500?
I bought mt TC .50 Hawken Flint new not kit in 1974 from a friend who had an FFL and needed to sell X a year to keep license. I paid $174.
Reading above post i thought no way i pay over $1000.
Then i did a google inflation. $174 in 1974 is $1,155 today. Wow! Was 1974 really that long ago.
Speechless.

The “customer base” are all shooting cheater guns now. They buy muzzleloaders so they can get another Bambi and want it to be just like a modern gun. They don’t want icky side locks or inconvenience.
Few years ago a friend comes over, pulls an inline ML out of car. I was like What?? Had never seen one before. Its cheating, its wrong, i don’t give a dam if you cram a conical/sabot down the front, its NOT a ML.
I blame the NRA (you know how i feel about those POS) for allowing those to pass legislation.
The demise of our sport as we knew it.
But then I hate compound bows. Recurve are real bows. Ever seen an injun take a bison with a wheel contraption.

Last edited:
Back