• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of casting my own round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I didn't cast I likely wouldn't wouldn't shoot. I cast everything I shoot and reload everything modern-wise I shoot. Casting doesn't take that much time or effort....for the most part, but it is sure cheaper than buying ball.
First ever casting session last week - took about 50-60 Lb of scrap lead and made those 1Lb Lee and Lyman bars out of it (I have both ingot moulds).

Yesterday was first ever real casting session. 6 1/2 Lb became 361 .440 balls over the space of three hours. I only stopped because it got dark. Honestly at the time it did not look like I had made that much. These would have cost $55 if I bought them ready made - and presently Midway doesn't even have them.

In 2019 I bought a Lee Big Dipper casting kit and just used it for the first time, so this was done with a double cavity mould and a dipper as I do not have a bottom pour pot.

I did buy a Lyman digital lead thermometer but didn't use it this first time - probably should have. Near the end the bullets started getting occasional flanges on them and the lead seemed possibly too runny, it may have been too hot.

Hey all,
Looking for a little bit of feedback. Looking into casting my own round balls. I can get scrap lead from my local scrapyard for $.75 a pound. I can buy as much or as little as I like. I’ve been looking into trying to find it for free, but hasn’t panned out.
They had lead roofing boots and other miscellaneous scrap lead. They also had some ingots. Most of it when dropped on concrete had just a dull thunk with no ring. At $.75 for scrap lead is that reasonable?
I'd say so! When I was selling it they were giving me 54 cents a pound

It doesn't take much to make 10 lbs

Attachments

• 20230706_135720.jpg
    20230706_135720.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_135641.jpg
    20230706_135641.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
First ever casting session last week - took about 50-60 Lb of scrap lead and made those 1Lb Lee and Lyman bars out of it (I have both ingot moulds).

Yesterday was first ever real casting session. 6 1/2 Lb became 361 .440 balls over the space of three hours. I only stopped because it got dark. Honestly at the time it did not look like I had made that much. These would have cost $55 if I bought them ready made - and presently Midway doesn't even have them.

In 2019 I bought a Lee Big Dipper casting kit and just used it for the first time, so this was done with a double cavity mould and a dipper as I do not have a bottom pour pot.

I did buy a Lyman digital lead thermometer but didn't use it this first time - probably should have. Near the end the bullets started getting occasional flanges on them and the lead seemed possibly too runny, it may have been too hot.
Stick with the dipper I've had two bottom pour pots and they both leaked! I got an apartment size stove and use that now it uses less energy and does a better job and I have more surface area to work.

Have been casting projectiles for 70 yrs. , and all round balls for m/l's , since 1970. I have always considered it more enjoyable , than casting anything for a cartridge gun. To make balls and kill deer , and squirrel , etc. , still amazes me , even though I've been doing it for many moons. Compared to the price of modern ammo , m/l balls , flints , and black powder , are cheap..

Have been casting projectiles for 70 yrs. , and all round balls for m/l's , since 1970. I have always considered it more enjoyable , than casting anything for a cartridge gun. To make balls and kill deer , and squirrel , etc. , still amazes me , even though I've been doing it for many moons. Compared to the price of modern ammo , m/l balls , flints , and black powder , are cheap..
Yes your right with free x-ray lead and home made powder in a flintlock it doesn't get any better or cheaper!

Cast for sure, but unless I missed it somewhere, no one has mentioned stay away from water!!!! If your casting outside and it starts to rain, one drop of water in that pot will empty it. Hot lead is not something you need to deal with over you or anything else.

Cast for sure, but unless I missed it somewhere, no one has mentioned stay away from water!!!! If your casting outside and it starts to rain, one drop of water in that pot will empty it. Hot lead is not something you need to deal with over you or anything else.
Yea one time when I first started casting I was casting bullets for a 38 special and I was casting fast and the bullets started coming out frosted and the mold was getting to hot so I thought I would cool it setting it on a damp rag and alternate with another mold wareing a t-shirt and shorts boy I was casting up a storm and all of a sudden "Pow"! I Was doing the hot lead in the pants dance!

If your pot is getting too hot just drop another ingot or the sprues in the pot and cool it off just a little. I never use a thermometer.

I've cast bullets, balls and ingots on everything from a Lee bottom dripper to camp fires, kitchen stoves and coleman stoves.

This is my latest creation and I really like this thing. Built a big wood burning rocket stove. To smelt scrap yard lead and ingot and actually just bought a Lodge hot plate griddle I plan to use on it some time. Pretty amazing just how little fuel it uses and easy to control the temps. I've run about 4-5 buckets of wheel weights over it so far.

Attachments

• 1697413536223.png
    1697413536223.png
    17.8 MB · Views: 0
My local recycling center got bought out by a bigger outfit. Now they don't sell to individuals, so there goes my easy access to reasonably priced lead. Glad I bought quite a bit when I did but I'm going to be looking for new again.

Back