• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The West Virginia Cabin Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mulebrain, thank you for posting about this rifle. I recall reading about it in your previous post, Log Cabin Rifle, A Fascinating Piece of History. I was actually thinking about this remarkable weapon a couple of days ago, and the update is appreciated. I know the previous thread generated a lot of speculation about the stock finish. Have you figured out what was used?

I had not noticed that unusual lock panel before, and I find it interesting that your research turned up another rifle with similar carving. Do you know where the rifle on Guns International was made?

We have several original rifles in the family collection, including four from the hills of Tennessee. None of our rifles are flintlocks, although a couple are probably conversions. All of the civilian rifles in our family collection have double-set triggers, and out of the ten or so pieces, I think one had a fly in the tumbler. None of the mountain rifles had a fly. All of these were without a half-cock notch in the tumbler, and I believe they all have single-phase double-set triggers. This means the triggers must be set to fire the rifle, and must be set to cock the hammer. The hammer has two positions: Full down, or full cock. It sounds as if your log cabin rifle has a similar arrangement, which I believe must have been common.

The hashmarks may very well be a tally of some sort. In his memoir, Forty Years on the Frontier, Granville Stuart mentioned a rifle that had a tally of deer killed, marked on the inside of the patchbox lid:

Forty Years, p.34.png

Anyway, I like everything about your log cabin rifle. I'm glad it is in the hands of someone who appreciates it. I'm sure we all look forward to hearing more as this rifle's story unfolds.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
The only American rifle I own had the sets but no half cock bent. I got it in Greenville Ohio it had an ammuseing note under the butt plate. It was written on a Versailles garage note paper with a line about' Speedmans tyres' but the note said' Traded one Hamilton rifle for one hair trigger rifle to Albert Wolfe on Sun Feb 1919 ,also one powder horn & mould ' (,Spelt Mold ) signed Homer Magato . I was given just the shattered stock. I fitted an 1" 40 cal Delcour barrel 30" or so long one in 48 ' pitch with rib & pipes and made the lock plate using the innards of a relic Hog rifle lock . The mounts being a bronzy brass with lead nose cap , Perhaps by Switzer of that region . Darke county being the home of Anne Moses ? Mozeen? better known as 'Anny Oakley' of Willow Dell. not impossible she saw it or shot against it nice to think so but pure speculation . Hamiton rifles where very' tinny' 22 affairs that date it but its interesting to document such rifles still popular at that time . The phone book had many Magato,s but no' Wolfe's' . Ironically bang in the middle of the lethal 'Spanish flue 'Pandemic . of 1919 That killed more people than the entire 4 years of WW 1. But it fizzled out and so I expect the current plague will do .
Rudyard

an old handmade rifle was probably made with Iron and not steel, making it not as strong as a repro of today. would need to be careful with loads. best to preserve it by not firing

Latest posts

Back