• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

THE WAIT BEGINS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your service, and keep your head on a swivel. I recently purchased a TC flinter for a really good price. Wanted to test the whole flint thing before I dove in too deep. Well its so damn much fun I don't take the caplocks out much anymore. Plus I am ordering the colonial kit from Jim Chambers tomorrow in 54. Just got RCR surgery so the wait will be more bearable.

Earl, good luck with your deployment. I'm sure Afghanistan has changed since I left out of there on a C5 in 2010!

What a coming home present and something great to look forward to. I myself was/am a Genuine Hawken fan, but my last two builds were a Southern mountain and a Fowler. My pappy was a riflebuilder and built a rifle just like yours.

I have a feeling that this won't be your last flinter! Good luck to you and Gods Speed.

Headhunter

Flint is #1 for me, but on especially wet/rainy/melting snow dripping from the trees days I get lazy and take a cap-gun. I can keep a flinter running in the wet, but, "LAZY" being the key word here. And I'm a big fan of the Civil War rifles, and try to take them out for a hunt once in a while, so they don't feel neglected.

What I like about a flintlock, is that you can see anything that might cause a miss-fire. It's a visual thing. Unless you pull the nipple, you can't see inside the nipple, or flash channel, bolster, drum or whatever. With flint I can feel if the flint is loose, see that it's set right, see into the touch hole, stick a pick in it and feel if the powder is dry and crunchy, or wet and mushy, see if the pan charge is good, or wet, or absent, see if the frizzen is wet, etc. etc. etc. That is why, for me, the flinter is more reliable. Having said that, it's been 30 years since I've had a miss-fire with a cap gun, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. "Peace of mind" I guess.

Watch your six and keep your powder dry...both here and abroad. Nice rifle you chose. I started to order a cap from the same source a couple of year ago but was talked out of it by Melanie. I love caplocks, love flints. You'll come home to a wonderful surprise.

Back