• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Ruger New/ Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty long thread for a simple question!

WHEWWW!!!
That is a classical situation : if you are talking of the ROA you are exciting all the passions about this pistol and so all the superlatives or complimentary or not comments. That makes always very, very longs answers...
This is a great classic of all the forum (fora) since that Ruger had stop the fabrication... :D :D

What trigger is in your Ruger Old Army?
I have 8 ROAs (6 stainless, 2 blued) with a mix of triggers (skinny smooth vs wide serrated)...

What trigger is in your Ruger Old Army?
I have 8 ROAs (6 stainless, 2 blued) with a mix of triggers (skinny smooth vs wide serrated)...

Mine is a stainless starting with 145. I think it’s an ‘83, but it’s been quite some time since I looked it up. Regardless it has a wide serrated trigger.

What seems to be the common denominator for the different triggers, early/latter models, stainless vs blued, maybe adj vs fixed sights?

Mine, (stamped Made for the 200th American liberty) I bought in 1976 -very expensive in France in this time- could also be converted with a Kirst converter or something else but for what do : I bought this ROA as a cap'n ball it will remain a cap'n ball...
Conversion don't make any sense : this is the best modern cap and ball pistol...:)

One can never have too many options, specially now of days now can they.
Well, if you are referencing a self defense situation - which I think you are hinting -
If you are not - then for entertainment purposes - then I think any person should do what makes them happy. Cap and ball or conversion - that's part of the fun.
I won't limit myself to 6 shots and a slow reload - which is either slow or really slow to accomplish. (unless your name is Jerry)
For the part that is not for fun - I like the 13-21 shot option - with a less than 2 heartbeats reload time.

As someone who loves c&b revolvers I'd like someone to explain the popularity of the Ruger Old Army to me. Let me preface by saying, what I like about the reproduction c&b revolvers is their connection to the actual models which have historical significance. Though I might not be able to afford a Colt Walker, Paterson or even a shootable 1860 Army I can buy reproductions of those models.
By contrast the Ruger has no connection to anything, essentially a percussion version of the Ruger Blackhawk ( mention of an unmentionable for comparisons sake). To be fair I fully acknowledge the robust qualities of the Ruger as a handgun on its own terms.
But lacking the historical connection (which inspired my own interest in c&b revolvers) I just don't understand the ROA. And before anyone becomes irrate I'm not in any way knocking the ROA. But I would enjoy hearing from those who seek them out- why do you like the Ruger New/ Old Army ?
As noted before, it's a pure, high- quality percussion just for it's own sake. Bill Ruger wanted it, and now years later people are ga-ga over them due to the "panic", ammo shortage, and the improved performance cylinders. Just as a BP shooter, they were precise and accurate. If someone wanted a historically minded version, they could go to the Italian replicas or originals. More choices are/is one of the benefits of capitalism! :)

Well put Grizz, but look at it this way also, who says that the wiz bang hi cap un-mentionables ( Like them also and competed for years) will be around much longer, so with a ruger or remmy and the current situation in getting one (no A.T.F.) and a un-mentionable set up ( no paper work shipped right too your door) your still in the game, also they are a good shoot, lead bullet (cast your own)some black powder a primer and one other componet your ready too go especially if you roll your own fodder at about 45 cents a shot or less versus almost a buck a shot for quality other pistol ammo. As too liking the ruger it is a stout no non-sense revolver that with proper care will last forever, it is a true 45 cal. and a excellent shooter straight out of the box, with that being said I have one and also a 58 remmy as well. use them all and enjoy them all, but when hunting I carry the ruger loaded for bear as they frequent the area I hunt. Big hole lots of power never had to use it and hopefully never will but one cannot be too careful. As too the re-loads you mentioned got a drill for you too try out with your buck a shot pistols --5yd yard line square too the target (shilloute) from the holster draw fire 6 shots one hand hold, do a re-load while transitioning too support hand one hand hold fire 3 shots 7 sec. all point or instinctive shooting, all shots must be in the 8 or less ring too pass. Thats heart beat shooting. Happy shooting.

Well put Grizz, but look at it this way also, who says that the wiz bang hi cap un-mentionables ( Like them also and competed for years) will be around much longer, so with a ruger or remmy and the current situation in getting one (no A.T.F.) and a un-mentionable set up ( no paper work shipped right too your door) your still in the game, also they are a good shoot, lead bullet (cast your own)some black powder a primer and one other componet your ready too go especially if you roll your own fodder at about 45 cents a shot or less versus almost a buck a shot for quality other pistol ammo. As too liking the ruger it is a stout no non-sense revolver that with proper care will last forever, it is a true 45 cal. and a excellent shooter straight out of the box, with that being said I have one and also a 58 remmy as well. use them all and enjoy them all, but when hunting I carry the ruger loaded for bear as they frequent the area I hunt. Big hole lots of power never had to use it and hopefully never will but one cannot be too careful. As too the re-loads you mentioned got a drill for you too try out with your buck a shot pistols --5yd yard line square too the target (shilloute) from the holster draw fire 6 shots one hand hold, do a re-load while transitioning too support hand one hand hold fire 3 shots 7 sec. all point or instinctive shooting, all shots must be in the 8 or less ring too pass. Thats heart beat shooting. Happy shooting.
I have the cost for my unmentionable reloads down to about 6 cents each, and I can make a whole lot of them on demand.
Well, my name is not Jerry and I can't do 6 - reload - shoot again in less than 4 seconds - but Jerry can, I watched him do it. Dang that guy is fast!
What I can do - is: (yes this is me)
Hands over shoulders, draw on the beep, clean 5 targets at 12 yards, less than 4 seconds.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9uKLFhZSVZeErc6h8

Seems that reading on the Ruger Forum that maybe Bill Ruger's death ended the ROA, if true that is truly sad.
Nah, I don't think it was connected; if a product is selling well, there's a demand, and everyone's making a profit, OK. Probable the demand went way down. They mfg. if for many years. Who'da thunk it would be so popular. I saw a new in box one go at auction, after the taxes & buyer's fees, guy paid $808. for it! With my own eyes, and it was blue, not the Bi-Cen or stainless.

Mine is a stainless starting with 145. I think it’s an ‘83, but it’s been quite some time since I looked it up. Regardless it has a wide serrated trigger.

What seems to be the common denominator for the different triggers, early/latter models, stainless vs blued, maybe adj vs fixed sights?
OMG, I never heard about differing triggers! Learn something new every day!

I believe Ruger stopped making the ROA when people started putting in cylinders that fired center fire ammo. They saw it as a legal issue and wanted no part of it.
Wow! You may be onto something! There was a major article in the NY Times in the first half of the 1990's, about that major lawsuit against Ruger; it ushered in the era of drop-safe safeties we all live with now. You just made a cogent statement! Thanks. There was some guy who shot himself by dropping the pistol, and sued Ruger, who lost the lawsuit. google it!

I heard somewhere that Bill Ruger said "As long as I'm alive we'll produce the ROA".

Back