• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Cow's Knee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Cow's Knee for my flinter, but I have not had a need to use it yet. I imagine this piece of leather is best if it is treated with some sort of oil for water proofing.
Perhaps some of the forum's veterans can share how best to use the Cow's Knee and what kind of luck they've had with them in the field.

Thanks!!

greetings trench,

lanolin or beeswax worked into the leather works pretty good. on my guns, they were just laid on the lock to cover it and not tied down.

if you'll be out and about when a cows knee is needed, use 3F for priming, check and change it often... if you use 4F for priming, check and change it much more oftener.. :grin:

howsomever, have heard some good things about swiss null-B for priming powder. seems to repel moisture..

good luck and ..ttfn..grampa..

PS... if the wife isn't around, an iron set on med lo-heat does a fine job working in the lanolin or beeswax. :wink:

Made mine out of an oval shaped piece approx 10"x6". I cut a slit from the 6" edge to the center (think pacman with a closed mouth) and overlapped the edges causing the oval to "pop" into a funnel shape. Stiched it shut along this seam.

Added a brass button on one side and a thong on the other. I tie the middle of the thong onto the trigger guard, and use the thong and button to secure it.

Waterproofed with olive oil and beeswax.

Just two wraps off the button, and she falls free of the action but not to the ground.

Legion

A friend has one he built long, long ago. Works so well in our wet climate that he's never been inclined to change it or stop using it. He treated it with lanolin as I recall, mostly to keep it as flexible as possible as well as waterproof. Used a short piece of antler on a thong for closure on the front end, same with a larger opening in the leather at the midpoint basically right over the trigger guard. He can flip open the rear one and spin the knee to fall under the rifle for firing. The thong on the front is long enough and thin enough that it doesn't interfere with the sights when the knee is under the rifle.

Hope I explained that well enough. In any case, he's made good shots after hours in the rain- with witnesses. He says the tight fit and the discipline to hold your rifle flat while carrying are the secrets. All second hand, but he's proven to me it's reasonable to hunt with a flinter in wet weather.

This is the type I make, I oil the leather with Mink oil or whatever is handy and tie a thong to the tg so it does not get lost the cock pretty much holds it is place, I carry the gun barrel angled down a bit to keep water from running back into the pan.
lockcover.jpg

I have always found them to be bulky and useless. I have always carried my rifle under my arm. The big deal with this is a real good lock, and a very sharp flint. I also use Swiss Null-B in the pan this stuff will fire when very damp. Go out some time in a light rain and shoot in the open. You will find that a very sharp flint makes the the big difference. :thumbsup:

I've noticed that most "modern" cow's knees are much smaller than the ones used in the 18th c. Theirs would extend past the lock to the wrist and the forarm.

That's my cow's knee.
CowsKnee1.jpg

redwing said:
I also use Swiss Null-B in the pan this stuff will fire when very damp.
Yip, Swiss 'Zündkraut' is fantastic.
:bow:
:hatsoff:

Gees UT, thats the knee,hip,shoulder Etc. Now that should protect your rifle and serve as a shelter half. :thumbsup:
By the way, what does Zundkraut mean anyway? Most of us Gringos only speak Americanish. Yes, I have had very good luck with Null-B. :grin:

I have made several,when the flintlock goes out of the house it goes with it. Use it in deer season too with the cap locks. I have heard a lot of caps go off on damp days and no boom. My best one was my first one. Well greased deer skin, small, can flip off with my thumb. Had it on my TC hawken 50, buck ran up so close I could see a wart on his nose, he stoped,when I fliped of the cover he turned and went back I nailed him at 35yrds. I tie mine with thong ahead of lock and have another tie I can tie under lock If I want too,like a small tent over lock.They work. Dilly

I always use one (made by Leatherman) but only as a protective lock cover while walking in during the dark so I don't accidently snag the lock on a bush or anything, then I take it off when I start hunting.

Just a personal thing but I don't like to have to fool with anything extra like that when hunting and if it's wet out I just keep the lock area up under my coat where it's dry...

redwing said:
By the way, what does Zundkraut mean anyway?

Zündkraut= Ignition powder.
Granulation= 0,01 mm - 0,5 mm or
0,000393700787 inch - 0,0196850394 inch
:hatsoff:

my apology,,thought they were rubber bands holding cows knee onto gun, :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: just tell me to sit down and shut up,,, :haha: :haha: :haha:

The water that will ruin your priming charge will run down the barrel channel and into your pan. You can water proof it by making a small dam with soft beeswax. The cow's knee will help though.

I've had it sneak into the pan from between the lock bolster and the barrel. This is no longer a problem since I took out the lock and smeared a little beeswax at all the junctions of the barrel and stock inside the lock mortise. A small bead of wax along the entire lenght of the barrel channel also helps quite a bit. Just another fly in the ointment....

Latest posts

Back