• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The beauty and mystique of Penna/Kentucky Longrifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll stop being lazy and play:
flintlock.jpg

My plain jane TVM .45 cal Tennessee. I love plain iron mounted Long Rifles.

Thats a pretty rifle. The silver hardware is a nice contrast to that beautiful stock.

THANKS ALOT GUYS! Those beauties make my stock
Traditions Kentucky look sad :redface: :bow: .I loooove works of art such as those. Thinking I might want to get a flinter. I'd love to try one first to see if I like it as much as my percussion.

Right behind you Bobber, my wife let me order a TVM Late Lancaster today for a anniversary present. Like you I'm kinda new here but with all the info floating around this camp it'd be hard to go wrong.

Looking at all of these beautiful long rifles convinced me that they are for me. Wonderful!

thanks to all for the pics. Those are Looooooong rifles! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

PA Prof,

Just noticed you are from Wellsboro, PA. Right up there at Cherry Flats is the Whispering Pines Cap and Flint club. Nessmuk on this board is the scribe for the annual rendevous in August. I've been threee times, and I highly recommend it. There are some beautiful longrifles there and a lot of excellent folks who share a love for longrifles, history - and good fellowship.

Good eye.

I had it down messing with it and took the pictures with it like that. :redface:

She's at rest now.

Here's the onliest Pennsylvania long rifle I own.
She's a fine one though she is 174 0r 175 years old. One of Henry Leman's very first made I'm told. Yes, I certainly have and still do touch her off now and then. It itches too much not to scratch it now and then!

rifle5-3.jpg

rifle4-1.jpg

rifle2-2.jpg

rifle.jpg

rifle6-1.jpg

47 1/4" straight barrel, 15/16" across the flats, 1 turn in the full length of the bore or about 48", total length 62", 13" length pull, .40 caliber, *LEMAN LANCASTER PA* WARRANTED on the top flat, H.ELWELL WARRANTED on the lock plate. No roller bearing on frizzen, no entry thimble ever installed on forearm.

BullRunBear said:
The Eastern longrifle and the katana represent a small number of items that are intended to do one thing and do it superlatively well. Every line, every dimension, every choice of materials has been distilled down to a purity of function and form that requires a master artist to design and a master craftsman to create.

But that beauty is not for display alone. If that were the case a painting or photograph would suffice. They require the use, the participation, of an individual to share in that beauty; to become part of it and make it personal. As we value such beauty and function, we want to preserve it, which shows in the care in loading and maintaining the object as well as learning more about it. These activities add to greater appreciation.

In a world where most things are designed as a compromise with an eye to cheaper manufacture or (God help us)government regulation and fears of lawsuits, some of us can appreciate what the longrifle represents. I really believe their appeal is not just physical and sensual but philosophical.

Jeff

well, beautifully said!

and to those who added pictures of their rifles, thank you!

now i'm reinspired to go tinker with mine, even though the barn needs fixing, the hay needs butting up, the chickens need their nest boxes cleaned, the dog needs to be walked.

dang- gotta keep the priorities in order.

I too enjoy the beauty of the various LRs and the following are my "versions" starting off w/ a Virginia style...

Lehto603a.jpg

Lancasters LRs

LehtoL245LRSVhi.jpg

CopyofCopyofSLanIIIOA.jpg

Bucks County LRs

BucksCo3TOW1-1.jpg

Some of these photos have been posted previously but perhaps newer members haven't seen them.....for what it's worth....Fred

Latest posts

Back