• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The bare nekked truth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I was barely bare when I shot my Bear this year. In fact I was bare ass and bare footed when I put a 54 cal R.B. bullet through her brain pan. I was loaded for bear and bare nekked when I heard a commotion in the back yard, My 50 cal H.E. Leman flinter "killbear" was in the wagon with all my cooterment because I was just about out the door to go bear huntin but was still bareass when the bear problem arose. I grabbed "thumper" my 54 cal H.E. Leman cap lock that I always keep loaded and capped next to the door for such occasions. With it's .530 R.B. wrapped in a .028 canvas patch in front of 110 grns of Goex FF Express it's always loaded for Bear. I stepped out to the back yard Bare ass and commenced to notice a Bear getting after my Buffalo hide that was scrapped and drying still on the fram. I told said Bear to scoot and she answered by turning and popping her teeth at me. I have observed such behavior in aggressive Bears in the past and since I was bare to the bone nekked to the world, without even a proper reload I felt a bit vulnerable. There was only one thing I could do and that was self preservation. I took careful aim as I have practice and sent her to the great spirit. She is a dandy!! I got over 25 lbs of fat off her and have rendered down two and a half gallons of Bear oil with more fat still to be rendered. I'm thinking I will get four gallons total.
Nothing like a Equinox Bear so easy! All I had to do was put down my tea and walk out bare nekked and harvest it. Thank you powers that be! And Coyote Joe for helping me gutt and load into the wagon. She was a heavy "OL" gal. And to my best friend and partner Caroline for doing such a fine job with the rendering. She would make a great addition to the NEW " woman of the fur trade.

:hatsoff:
Good to hear from you sir.
Great story although at one point I was dreading the photos!

You bin blessed brother.

Please send my regards to CJ.

B :hatsoff:

That's barely enough bear grease for the next 60 yrs? One question....what are the advantages of bear grease used as a patch lube and does it stink?

Do you eat the meat or is it all about the bear grease? Ate bear meat many years ago and found it kinda stringy and had a purple colored hue that wasn't very appetizing. But, after a few drinks it did taste OK. The host said it was a "road kill" but later relented and said it was from a buddy who values the grease more than the meat.

I'm in a quandary as to the advantages of bear grease as a patch lube...are the pros valid or is it used because it was used by the people of yore? Or was it used because that's all they had?

Am totally unfamiliar w/ the uses of bear grease, so have a question....does it have other uses than a patch lube?......Fred

flehto said:
Am totally unfamiliar w/ the uses of bear grease, so have a question....does it have other uses than a patch lube?......Fred

Without a doubt the best cooking oil on the planet. One bite of donuts fried in bear oil, and you'll look down on every other donut you ever gum. Probably too much for sensitive types, but make the donuts with seagull eggs (available to Alaska Natives) and they're even better. Along those lines, fry bread fried in Crisco or pig lard is a disaster compared to fry bread fried in bear oil.

Heck, I'll put bear grease three jumps ahead of bacon grease for cooking, and that's going some! :thumbsup:

Now that's fun reading...sounds like a nursery rhyme in the makin. Better sleep now laddies or the poppin teeth bear will get ya when yer naked :)

Nathan I have been waiting on one of your great stories an excellent pics all this hot summer though after reading the story I will admit to being a bit nervous about looking at the pics just simply cause one beararse is all I could stand to look at for one sitting. Being that ya hunted up some covering garments after the kill I will now give your pics their much deserved :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats an good shooting. You folks aint tasted a good apple pie till you have had one fried with bear grease an Fred the bear lube cant be beat in my opinion

GMB good to hear you are doing well and hunting is good too.

Thanks for the bear pictures and no bare pictures.

Besides the cooking, use any of the fat w/beeswax for boot dressing? I do that with deer lard too.

Morning everybody,
I use the bear grease for cooking,leather dressing,and patch lube. It never smells because I keep it in my cellar and will no go rancid. I love the meat as well. Am smoking the hams and making sausage "Boudins" as well.
Britsmoothy I will absolutly say hey to Joe. We are almost neighbors up in MT.
Nathan

Back