• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Absolute Best Tomahawks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsuoutdoors

32 Cal
Reaction score
If price is of no consideration….who would y’all say are the top 5 or so of the FINEST frontier style tomahawk craftsmen? Interested in both camp and throwing styles. Just would like to know who are the best in the nation!

For frontier style, which I have to assume you mean HC/PC, there is no best. Only good, bad, or not worth mention.
Excuse my ignorance. Could you explain HC/PC?

Again, just figured there would be some custom or high quality hawk manufacturers that had a reputation far above the rest.

I make a pretty good tomahawk, but my forging teachers that makes great tomahawks ( which are some of the best in the country) are Rich McDonald, Bart Dellinger and Joe Seabolt.
I have learned alot from them. (I am in Bart Dellingers tomahawk forging class at the end of April). Two others I know but never was able to make any tomahawks under their tutelage Is Butch Sheeley and Bill Keeler also known as Beaver Bill.
Bart, Rich and Joe all live here in Ohio and you can find them on sites like Hershel House's site and Skills of the 18th century. Butch is in NY I believe and I don't have contact info for Beaver Bill. Any of those 5 would make you that absolute best tomahawk you are looking for.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Last edited:
I make a pretty good tomahawk, but my forging teachers that makes great tomahawks ( which are some of the best in the country) are Rich McDonald, Bart Dellinger and Joe Seabolt.
I have learned alot from them. (I am in Bart Dellingers tomahawk forging class at the end of April). Two others I know but never was able to make any tomahawks under their tutelage Is Butch Sheeley and Bill Keeler also known as Beaver Bill.
Bart, Rich and Joe all live here in Ohio and you can find them on sites like Hershel House's site and Skills of the 18th century. Butch is in NY I believe and I don't have contact info for Beaver Bill. Any of those 5 would make you that absolute best tomahawk you are looking for.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Thanks for the info!

Excuse my ignorance. Could you explain HC/PC?

Again, just figured there would be some custom or high quality hawk manufacturers that had a reputation far above the rest.
Even if you get into the high art engraved with precious metal inlay types, there still is no best, only a mix of excellent artisans. You have to choose for yourself. You may be better off seeking out the ones you would not want.

I don't know if he comes on this forum anymore but @Paranger has been making some excellent period correct tomahawks of multiple styles based on actual period originals he has gotten his hands on or archeological finds that he has gotten specs for.

But, if actual historical authenticity is not really your concern and you just want something that looks "right" at a distance or glance,,, and is tough to destroy,,,, buy a Cold Steel brand tomahawk. Get one of the smallest heads they offer to be the closest to historic accuracy, tomahawks were light and fast weapons at the time, not bushcraft tools. Their so called "Rifleman's 'hawk," is way too big and heavy.
The heads are near indestructible,,, handles of any tomahawk can and do get broken.

Last edited:
As far as historically correct goes, some years ago a friend of mine, who was a collector, managed to obtain a tomahawk head excavated at Braddock's battlefield on the Monongahela. He sent it to Jeff Miller and had three copies made, one for himself and one of each of his sons. I called Jeff and told him to make four and send one to me. It is an exact copy, but in not pretty or impressive. Just historically accurate. If it were on a table at a gun show, I doubt if anyone would pay it any attention. I also have an original French axe, but again, not impressive. It all depends on what you want.

Are you talking for working or display? Cause no way Im using a tommy from a top 5 guy to hack wood at a campsite.

Vital question, AND I might also point out that original hawks were banged-out by the thousands. They weren't even 100% steel with wrought Iron having a steel bit welded into them for cutting. A highly crafted 'hawk out of fine steel might be a 20th or 21st century thing....,

LD

For frontier style, which I have to assume you mean HC/PC, there is no best. Only good, bad, or not worth mention.
Don’t know why anybody would want to put a lot of money in a throwing hawk.
For camp chores, cutting up meat, etc., it could be a different story.

Back