• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Teach the children muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Make sure you teach your children, an grandchildren , an any other children that you are responsible for , an responsible to , how to responsibly use muzzleloaders.

You don't want them to grow up to be some of these people like this, who grew up without muzzleloaders, and as a result ended up getting caught up in this really crazy stuff.

Caution this video has that s word in it

Last edited:
I've never took Marial Arts classes and don't know that much about them except to say I am not impressed. But there is a part of them that installs some form of discipline in the students, I think. That part would make a little sense.I think the rest is mostly "Hollywood nonsense".

Ha! I’ve got four young kids (three boys and a girl), so I’m certainly doing my part to further populate the earth. I plan on introducing each of them to the wonderful world of muzzleloading… just not too keen on having to share my rifles/muskets when they discover what an absolute blast the sport is.

Any size muzzleloader to get the youngins interested in black powder Flint locks and give them some true course in life to prevent them from growing up to being a fantasy jet eye ninja and stalking the likes ofi nicki minaj an kim kardashian. And being diagnosed with things such as 'shared psychotic delusion'

Last month at a gun show I found a really well made little flintlock that was a 22,
It had a hexagon barrel off of a Remington 22 rimfire . it was really well made it was about 2 ft long I think.

Last edited:
I introduced my grandson and granddaughter to black powde shooting early. They both own their guns now. Started at 9 and 13 years old respectively. They are now 18 and 22. Gave an 1860 to my granddaughter's boyfriend. My two sons didn't get as enthusiastic about it. But they know how to use them in a pinch. They are more into long range, bird shooting and rapid fire.

Before you can teach anyone, they must have an interest.
A friend brought me his grandson who had picked up a Traditions muzzleloader somewhere in a trade. The kid wanted to shoot it, so I showed him all about it and I watched as he then loaded and fired it - one time. That was it. No further interest.
My own grandchildren have absolutely zero interest in muzzleloaders, or much of anything else as far as I can tell.

A friend brought me his grandson who had picked up a Traditions muzzleloader somewhere in a trade. The kid wanted to shoot it, so I showed him all about it and I watched as he then loaded and fired it - one time. That was it. No further interest.
My own grandchildren have absolutely zero interest in muzzleloaders, or much of anything else as far as I can tell.
I guess that would happen. My nieces 8 year old son went ape after shooting my single shot pistol. I gave it to him and everything he needed to shoot and maintain. He liked the part about taking it down to clean.
Reminded me when I was about that age. Loved taking guns apart and reassembling them. And anything else that wasn't working in an attempt to make it work again.

Ate about age eight, I took one of those el cheapo Italian percussion rifles with a two-piece stock and modified it for him. I shortened the stock and remounted the crescent buttplate, paid a gunsmith to shorten and re-crown the barrel, etc. I made a new, unbreakable ramrod cut a frontsight dovetail with a file, and re-fitted the patchbox to work with the buttplate.

Weekly muzzle loader shoots at our gun club were "our thing" and older shooters very encouraging - even though he really didn't score vey high on most nights. Eventually, other parents brought their kids from time-to-time.

We formed a NRA "YHEC" (Youth Hunter Education Challenge) team and eventually won the international event (8 challenges, including muzzle loading). Youth are the future - the only product of our lives we send forth to a time we will not see. Take your boy hunting instead of hunting your boy.

True enough. You cannot make anyone like something. They do or they don't. I missed out with my grandkids, they didnt turn out "anti-gun" but they are definitely not "pro-gun" either.More of a ho hum.But there is hope with a nephew and neice. It makes you wonder what was going on in those little minds.Were they staring at my guns high on the wall in awe or disgust?

True enough. You cannot make anyone like something. They do or they don't. I missed out with my grandkids, they didnt turn out "anti-gun" but they are definitely not "pro-gun" either.More of a ho hum.But there is hope with a nephew and neice. It makes you wonder what was going on in those little minds.Were they staring at my guns high on the wall in awe or disgust?
Well keep the guns where they can see them, an as long as they are were not watching steven seagal , there is hope.

Ate about age eight, I took one of those el cheapo Italian percussion rifles with a two-piece stock and modified it for him. I shortened the stock and remounted the crescent buttplate, paid a gunsmith to shorten and re-crown the barrel, etc. I made a new, unbreakable ramrod cut a frontsight dovetail with a file, and re-fitted the patchbox to work with the buttplate.

Weekly muzzle loader shoots at our gun club were "our thing" and older shooters very encouraging - even though he really didn't score vey high on most nights. Eventually, other parents brought their kids from time-to-time.

We formed a NRA "YHEC" (Youth Hunter Education Challenge) team and eventually won the international event (8 challenges, including muzzle loading). Youth are the future - the only product of our lives we send forth to a time we will not see. Take your boy hunting instead of hunting your boy.
Or girl, job well done.

Go volunteer
IMG_20230704_100623.jpg

Go volunteer

That’s a great idea! While we may not have any control over whether muzzleloading sparks a passion in an individual, we’ll never know if they haven’t been introduced to the hobby.

My father purchased a Kentucky rifle from a friend that remained tucked in our closet for 25+ years. It wasn’t until several years ago that I decided to actually acquire the paraphernalia and knowledge necessary to fire the thing. It seemed pretty intimidating at the time without someone to show me the ropes. I can’t help but think of all the years and experiences that I missed out on.

Think outside the box. Put a cell phone mount on the muzzle (aka selfie stick) & add Xbox thumb controls. Oh & load & clean for them.

My 2 grandkids (boy 3 & girl 5) see my gun display cabinets every time they're here which is very often. I keep telling them we'll shoot them when they're older. It keeps it in their heads. They're scared of loud noises now unless they're the ones making them. It's amazing in a bad way how loud a 3yo boy can be with just air & vocal cords. They'll relax in time I'm sure.

Latest posts

Back