• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Maxi, Lee REAL, Lyman GP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must have gotten a jewel of a Maxihunter mold all those years ago because 3" groups at 100 yards were common. Interesting that more than one person replying obtained less than stellar results. I was the original design with a more rounded nose. I'm really kicking myself for leaving I behind now.
Such is life.
May pick up one of those Lee 501-440 Molds though the twist might be too slow to stablalize a boolit that long.

I have some of those old style maxi-hunters in .54 cal i will try them one of these days. :thumbsup:

Larry

The 48" twist in .54 is often marginal for the mxihunter.
It needs a little more spin or a lot more powder. And it often needs a gas dam to prevent gas cutting.

In a .50 the 48" twist is proportionally even slower.

Idaho Ron said:
Just don't come down on me if I start talking about conicals in a PRB thread. :thumbsup:

No problemo, Ron. As long as it is a sensible segway and stays within the set bounds of the forum, I see no problem with discussing PRBs or conicals in the same thread. It's sort of like talking about a caplock and segwaying into a comparison with a flintlock. Makes sense to me. But, you have to take into account that I am old and crazy. :haha:

Billnpatti said:
Idaho Ron said:
Just don't come down on me if I start talking about conicals in a PRB thread. :thumbsup:

No problemo, Ron. As long as it is a sensible segway and stays within the set bounds of the forum, I see no problem with discussing PRBs or conicals in the same thread. It's sort of like talking about a caplock and segwaying into a comparison with a flintlock. Makes sense to me. But, you have to take into account that I am old and crazy. :haha:
Every discussion needs counterpoints to give it perspective.... :grin:

The last two afternoons I've been sighting in a new barrel for the TC Hawkin with the few 50 caliber slugs I have left. It dawned on me during these sessions why I settled on the 65 grain fffg load for the Maxihunter conical. The first reason is that using the TC loading booklet when I first bought my Renegade in 87 I tried the 90 grain ffg load under the Maxiball and it gave hammer blow back every time. Loading it down to 80 grains ffg eliminated that and was very accurate. Eventually I swapped the ffg out to fffg and 65 grains matched the velocity and accuracy. By this time I was casting the Maxihunter and using them exclusively with results that made me happy.

Some years back I was conducting experiments on hotter black powder and pyrodex loads with the Maxihunters. At one point with pyrodex the report sounded more like a centerfire than a muzzleloader. My wife even commented on the difference in sound. I know this was much too much powder and ceased those experiments. The target confirmed this wasn't conducive to accuracy, as well. I am convinced the soft lead was stripping out of the shallow grooves when the velocity climbed much higher than 1200 fps. My chrono said my pet load of 65 gr fffg is averaging 1180fps. I've never used a felt wad between the boolit base and powder. Never felt the need to with this combination.

Could be that those with rifles that can handle the higher pressures of hotter loads don't shoot the Maxihunters well for this very reason. For those who have this boolit/mold see how your particular rifle behaves with a smaller powder charge. It would be interesting to know.

I have used T/C maxiballs for 35 years in my .50 T/C Hawken (1:48) and Sile Hunter Hawken (1:28). They are very accurate with 75-90 gr. of 3F black powder and have accounted for the majority of my muzzleloader killed deer.
I cast my bullets from a single cavity T/C mould.

Recently, I got a T/C New Englander in .54 (1:48). It shot round balls well but I wanted to try conicals in it. I bought a .54 maxiball mould for $35 and it shoots lights out.

I also have a maxiball mould for my two .45 long rifles and due to their slow rifling (1:66), they are not very accurate.

I conclude that 1:28 through 1:48 barrels usually shoot the maxiball very accurately. I can't wait to get a chance at a deer with the .54 maxi. I expect it to go down very quickly.

I have used REALs but, in general, they are not as accurate in my rifles. I have never shot a maxi-hunter although I have a few.

Christophero said:
The last two afternoons I've been sighting in a new barrel for the TC Hawkin with the few 50 caliber slugs I have left. It dawned on me during these sessions why I settled on the 65 grain fffg load for the Maxihunter conical. The first reason is that using the TC loading booklet when I first bought my Renegade in 87 I tried the 90 grain ffg load under the Maxiball and it gave hammer blow back every time. Loading it down to 80 grains ffg eliminated that and was very accurate. Eventually I swapped the ffg out to fffg and 65 grains matched the velocity and accuracy. By this time I was casting the Maxihunter and using them exclusively with results that made me happy.

Some years back I was conducting experiments on hotter black powder and pyrodex loads with the Maxihunters. At one point with pyrodex the report sounded more like a centerfire than a muzzleloader. My wife even commented on the difference in sound. I know this was much too much powder and ceased those experiments. The target confirmed this wasn't conducive to accuracy, as well. I am convinced the soft lead was stripping out of the shallow grooves when the velocity climbed much higher than 1200 fps. My chrono said my pet load of 65 gr fffg is averaging 1180fps. I've never used a felt wad between the boolit base and powder. Never felt the need to with this combination.

Could be that those with rifles that can handle the higher pressures of hotter loads don't shoot the Maxihunters well for this very reason. For those who have this boolit/mold see how your particular rifle behaves with a smaller powder charge. It would be interesting to know.

I remember my better 2/3's comments as well. The noticeably louder report could be from pressures that were high enough to overcome the strength of the bullet base.

Latest posts

Back