• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tarred Haversacks and Packs Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringel05

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Trying to find out (get a time line) on when haversacks and packs started being "tarred". My searches pretty much gives me generic information or want to link me to Civil War Sutlers. I know about Vulcanization and when it was introduced but I've read generic references to "tarring" (without detailed information)of canvas prior to the 1840s.

India rubber coated canvas (expensive) was used prior to 1840 as was tarred canvas (a cheaper alternative). The idea I believe was in an attempt to provide water proofing of haversacks, knapsacks, ponchos, ground cloths for the soldiers out on the frontier and when they went to war. I know a fellow who acquired a haversack at a yard sale some years ago. In it was letters of an American soldier in the 4th U.S Infantry who was killed in the Mexican war and his personal effects were sent home in that haversack and its tarred.

"tar" before the start of the oil boom was oft times pine tar, that's can be a clear oil to a dark glob. Spanish red was oft times used making a med-dark red paint that was water resistint. Un treated haversacks were common as were just greasing them.

I don't know what the tar which would have been used for this was actually like, but chances are that it was pine tar, not petroleum tar. That is made by burning pine woods without oxygen, and the go-to place for that in the 18th century was Sweden, such that it was commonly called Stockholm tar.
Cordage treated with pine tar was used very commonly in ships, as rigging and many other things. You can still get lines, such as marline, treated in that way. I have some, and it is dry, not at all sticky or wet, has a distinct but mild smokey smell. It seems to have been infused completely through the cord, not just painted on the outside. It's waterproof.

How that would have been used for a haversack, I don't know.

Spence

Sailors treated staw hats with pine tar until black, hands were also blacked with tar and white clothing marked with tar off the rigging. The standing rigging...the lines used to stay or guy the mast would be black. The lines used to control the sails was not tarred ase heavy and remained brown... Sao lighty done it should soak in to the cloth and sty there.

Back