• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tap-O-cap hole punch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scota@4570

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have my old Forresters Tap-O-cap device. I lost the hole punch for cutting out the roll caps. My measurements indicate the punch should be about 0.16" . It is necessary to center the cap in the punch accurately, so it needs to be a pliers type. Al leather punch will not work. A hammer type is unsafe. I have found 3mm, and 6mm metric punches. I have found 1/8" also. I found none in 5/32" or 4mm which appears to be the correct size.

Can anyone measure their Forresters supplied punch? Maybe I am wrong on the size. Or, does anyone have a source for 4mm or 5/32" punches?

In the past, I have taken a razor knife and peeled the cap disk from the paper roll backing like filleting a fish. Stuffed 3 disks into the the pre-made cap with the end of a tooth pick, then sealed the open end of the cap with hair spray. I was generally getting 97% ignition on my cap guns.

I threw away the hole punch. Like Grimord, I used a razor to cut the tissue away from the paper. There is so much smear and splatter on the rolls, I was setting off the caps with the hole punch. I would grind the mixture, put some in the cap, compress with a matchstick, and settle the mix with a drop of rubbing alcohol.

That is the punch they supplied. Thanks. I want to salt a kit away for when I run out of caps.

Soak a strip of the role caps in water for about a min. You can then remove the thin paper from the thicker paper. You can then lift the dots right off the paper cleanly with a pairing knife. With a little practice you can stack them up on the knife blade..I would use ten or more dots to make caps for my rifles.Four to six for the revolvers. The water will not change the dots and they will work fine. Use a binder to keep them in the cups .This all works well and you aren't trying to shoot paper through that little hole in the nipple. I have a 45 year old Forrester tap o cap and now the newer cap maker.

Back