• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang bolt drill jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used the drill press with pointy bolt screw method, and it is a chore to hold the rifle in proper position and steady during drilling. I do just as good with an electric hand drill drilling from both sides and using a smaller bit as a pilot hole then enlarging it to correct clearance size plus a bit more ;) .

I've used the drill press with pointy bolt screw method, and it is a chore to hold the rifle in proper position and steady during drilling. I do just as good with an electric hand drill drilling from both sides and using a smaller bit as a pilot hole then enlarging it to correct clearance size plus a bit more ;) .
Yes, I've used that method too but I remember seeing the jigs being shown and how much easier they seemed to be, rather than trying to hold the gun at all different angles!

I'm cursed with detail perfectionism. I'm so anal I can't stand it if I detect ANY offset off of perfect center on a bolt hole on a tang or trigger or toe plate. If I punch a starting divot and use it as a starting point the #$@ bit always walks off some - every freaking time, and causes me to shout un-Christian things. To counter this, instead of punching for the drill to start on a piece of metal, I take it off the gun, start real slow and small, and even go to a file or dremel if I have to to get a pilot hole in exact center to my eye, then use the sharpened drill press jig.

This is the one you're referring to. Semper Fi
1712355258571.png

The Gun Works.

I'm cursed with detail perfectionism. I'm so anal I can't stand it if I detect ANY offset off of perfect center on a bolt hole on a tang or trigger or toe plate. If I punch a starting divot and use it as a starting point the #$@ bit always walks off some - every freaking time, and causes me to shout un-Christian things. To counter this, instead of punching for the drill to start on a piece of metal, I take it off the gun, start real slow and small, and even go to a file or dremel if I have to to get a pilot hole in exact center to my eye, then use the sharpened drill press jig.
Once you center punch you hole location use a spotting drill bit to start the hole locatiion <https://drilladvice.com/what-is-a-spotting-hole-drill-bit> once that location is started then use the correct drill bit to make your hole.

Back