• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T-C Vernier Tang sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OB OBrien

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have one of those old T-C Vernier tang sights from back in the 70s. Are they worth messing with? I was going to put it on my 50 cal hawken to be able to use the same amount of powder and the same sight picture for punching paper at the range.

What do you all think about that approach? :idunno:
Thanks OB

Why not?
My TC tang sight as shown on my restocked TC is not a Vernier but it does help my aging eyes clearly see the front sight and the target.
tc1.jpg

The only negative aside from its HC (Historically Correct) aspects is that some folks won't let a person compete at their shoots with peep sights.

If your like me and you don't want to shoot at those events then it doesn't matter. :)

Years ago my brother used one on his Renegade to great effect. I now have the sight and am looking forward with interest to some longer range shooting.

I had one on my TC Hawken. I liked it. I ended up taking it off after a while because some of the local folks at the range where I used to shoot didn't like it. And now, I don't care... :blah: If it works for you, use it.

If you're referring to the tall ladder style they have several drawbacks. For one, they don't stay upright and have to be manually reset before each shot. For another they require loosening the eye cup for windage and elevation adjustments and once loosened the windage just falls freely from side to side. That makes it tough to get them zeroed and keep them zeroed. I had one on a rifle I used strictly for target shooting and if handled very carefully it worked OK but it really is not a good design.

I have had this one since the '70's and experience none of the problems of a previous poster. It is somewhat ungainly to adjust windage but just fine for elevation and mine does not move.
You can always take it off if you don't like it. I don't use mine for hunting, preferring a full buck-horn instead.

IMG_1985-1.jpg

It's too bad they're illegal in my club because I think it'd be neat to have a gun with a peep sight. Maybe I'll put it on my raffle winning CVA Hawken .58 because I probably won't shoot it at any club shoots because .58 balls are expensive when you don't cast your own.

I agree with Zonie, I wouldn't shoot at events that ban them, not all of us are blessed with 20/20 vision. :shocked2: I have one on my T/C .45 flinter & its staying on there!

In the late 70's when I was in college one of the guys had one on a .45 TC Hawken. Man that guy could out shoot any of the rest of us at longer ranges.

FWIW I have Lyman sights on my TC Hawken 50, a tang vernier rear and globe front. Like them much better than the TC peep/vernier sight that I've had.

Back