• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Patriot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got this one today, a grail gun for me. Advertised as "about new," it is an unfired and unfiddled-with .45 caliber. The trigger pull is currently too light (a first for me) and I found the adjustment screw requires The Worlds Smallest Hex Key, which I don't have. But will. Soon.
002.JPG

Just got this one today, a grail gun for me. Advertised as "about new," it is an unfired and unfiddled-with .45 caliber. The trigger pull is currently too light (a first for me) and I found the adjustment screw requires The Worlds Smallest Hex Key, which I don't have. But will. Soon.
View attachment 261966
She looks pristine but you may want to remove the butt cap , drill a hole and run a threaded bolt up through the grip to under the tang and glass bed it in place as these guns are notorious for breaking the stock at the top of the grip when loading in a stand which you probably will do at some point. Done as described no one will ever see the strengthening mod but they will probably notice a cracked stock repair.
I have the same gun and they are a peach. I particularly like the rear position firing trigger one does not have to reach for in the double set trigger configuration.

View attachment 261966
That's a nice looking squirrel pistol.

View attachment 261966
They made a few of these in .36 cal I would like to own and try out one day . I think it one of the best factory match percussion guns ever made in either caliber !

I have the same gun and they are a peach.
Do you know what size hex key the trigger adjustment screw requires? I expect I'll have to order one; it's smaller than 1/16". And, have you tried something other than patched round ball? Not a maxi-ball, but perhaps a wad/round ball combination?

Do you know what size hex key the trigger adjustment screw requires?
Answered my own question. I did indeed have a correct key; it mikes at .048", or 3/64". The adjustment screw makes very little difference in engagement though. Turning it in lessens engagement to the point of not setting and turned out as far as possible it is still very much a hair trigger. I'll get used to it...

Do you know what size hex key the trigger adjustment screw requires? I expect I'll have to order one; it's smaller than 1/16". And, have you tried something other than patched round ball? Not a maxi-ball, but perhaps a wad/round ball combination?
Only patched ball never used a conical. I don't know what the Allen wrench size is.

Yeah you got to be careful with the triggers on those. Having to use the set trigger with an extremely low pull weight and the way you have to work your finger in between the front and rear trigger before putting pressure on the rear trigger to fire means you have to be really careful. I have put a few rounds into the berm while missing the target until I got my mechanics figured out.

I found it easier to not use the spur, give it a try, do what's comfortable. Nice find by the way, i miss mine.

I have two Patriots. Both are beautiful and shoot better than I can.

A caution about the stock, don’t over tighten the lock screw. Just snug it up. That is a large contributor to cracked stocks.

When loading, never let the butt come in contact with a hard surface. If you are resting the pistol in a stand, that is different. I do all my loading holding the pistol in my hand by the barrel. In about thirty years of doing so, I have never had any issues with loading, firing or the dreaded cracked stock.

The factory recommends I believe 20-35 grains of FFFG. 25 +- works best for me.

I have two Patriots. Both are beautiful and shoot better than I can.

A caution about the stock, don’t over tighten the lock screw. Just snug it up. That is a large contributor to cracked stocks.

When loading, never let the butt come in contact with a hard surface. If you are resting the pistol in a stand, that is different. I do all my loading holding the pistol in my hand by the barrel. In about thirty years of doing so, I have never had any issues with loading, firing or the dreaded cracked stock.

The factory recommends I believe 20-35 grains of FFFG. 25 +- works best for me.
If you reinforce the stock as described it becomes no issue at all and is invisible. Loading at a match without a stand usually makes safety issues with muzzle direction. If one is hunting or on a trail walk than no stand would be used anyway.
It is a known weakness in Patriots that should be addressed as most I've seen used are loaded muzzle up ,standing on the grip butt from stands on a bench for match work.

Thanks all for the kind replies. In the nearly fifty years I've been shooting and collecting, this pistol is without question the nicest gun, to my taste, I've had the pleasure to own. Couldn't afford one when they were being produced and never expected to find one today in this condition. They're only unfired once, and I think I'll keep this fine example that way. A reminder of Made in USA from days gone by...

Thanks all for the kind replies. In the nearly fifty years I've been shooting and collecting, this pistol is without question the nicest gun, to my taste, I've had the pleasure to own. Couldn't afford one when they were being produced and never expected to find one today in this condition. They're only unfired once, and I think I'll keep this fine example that way. A reminder of Made in USA from days gone by...
I have to admire a man who has always wanted a gun and has the fortitude to retain her virgin status and never see how she shoots ! It's not even my gun and I can hardly stand not hearing you talk about how she performs !
I haven't shot mine in a while either and need to get her out and have some fun. She gets lonely and tired of being neglected in the safe feeling all rejected and disrespected ! 😄

Latest posts

Back