• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T\C Patchbox-Can I remove it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemuzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T\C Hawken Flintlock that I have re-barreled with a Green Mt. 1-70 twist barrel. I think I'm just plain tired of looking at that factory patchbox and was wondering if anyone has ever removed one and perhaps routed out the stock and inlayed a different wood or even the same type of wood that made the stock look nice...as if the stock were planned to be that way.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Dave

If its a 1 inch stock you can replace it with a Renegade stock and fit it with your brass parts the hardest part would be the buttstock and nose cap but still not that hard to do. Or restock it with a maple stock like the others said. I Have seen a few patch boxes covered up with custom made patch boxes from stock brass plates bought at the local hardware store. just a few idears.

:bow: Thanks for your suggestions Gent's. I've rolled this around in the past....and drooled over the full stock replacement's at ToTW for this rifle. Since I now have this excellent shooting GM barrel on it....I really don't consider it to be a "factory" T\C any longer.

I suppose I could fool with another type of patch box. I actually prefer the nickel (non-brass) furniture for some reason. My first build was a flint pistol which took some time and was quite a learning curve, but turned out very nice (for me) and I've received many compliments on it. Plus, it shoots very accurately at 50 yards...and that's even "more better." :grin:

Well.....I'll ponder this....'cause I know what will happen. I'll get the nickel patch box.....blacken it like I did my pistol barrel and furniture....then replace the rest of the brass furniture....then bite the bullet and replace the factory lock with a drop in L&R....well...you know how it goes. :shocked2:

Why not buy a nice stock from some place, get what ya need off the old stock, Put the remaining parts in the Classifieds here & recoup some of the $. Seems to be always someone wanting a part for a T/C.

Keith Lisle

Keith,

That's a good idea as well. Net\net the cost will come in a bit less but the rifle will look a bunch better! :thumbsup:

Why even bother? My Dad was very intuitive and when I was under "his tutelege" one of his admonitions was...."if you persist on hating something and dwell on this hate, it soon "rules your world". My advice for what it's worth.....look at the other side of the butt..... :grin: ....Fred

flehto said:
Why even bother? My Dad was very intuitive and when I was under "his tutelege" one of his admonitions was...."if you persist on hating something and dwell on this hate, it soon "rules your world". My advice for what it's worth.....look at the other side of the butt..... :grin: ....Fred

Thanks Fred. "Hate" is a very strong word. So, if you noticed.....I didn't use that word. If I "hated" it since 1980....it would have long since been changed. "Tired" is a much better choice for the description. I can always take a short nap and the fatigue will go away for a time. :wink:

I belive your idea is far more practical than a restocking.
If you want to build a rifle from scratch, that is another thing altogether. Go for it.
But redoing a TC with new wood is a waste of good wood and time, IMHO.

I got tired of the brass on my 40 year old TC Hawken. Had all of the brass "Black Iced". It is a black satin teflon. Looks good, (to my eyes), and wears well.

Back