• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C New England or T/C Penselvania hunter carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d.thomson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a friend who wants to ge into ML and he wants a T/C because of the warenty. I have found a couple of riffles that he might be Interested in One is a Penselvania hunter carbine the other is a New England. He wants to shot PRB. Thanks for any feed back F.K. :hatsoff:

If he wants to shoot PRB's he needs the TC roundball barrel(1-66) twist. My buddy had the N. England in 54 barrel and was a real shooter with the 1-48 twist with a max-ball. The RB barrel's he had for his all shot real good. He bought them at the time from Mid-South Supply. He had 45,50,54. Back then they were 110 dollars a piece. If I remember right they had deeper cut rifling then the 1-48. Dilly

After tinking about it he might have bought Green Mountain barrels as he would have to get TC barrels from TC. But they(TC) have the 1-66 RB barrels. You might have to get them fron Fox Ridge Shop. Dilly

Don't know why you're only looking at carbines? Availability perhaps?

I have a TC Renegade that I really like and recommend - you can get GM barrels for these if you want and have a swtich barrel ml. It's got a more traditinal (than plastic or rubber) steel buttplate too but is still flat (which I find much more comfortable than the cressant in the shoulder crotch).

Mine has the 1-48 twist and shot these targets at 40 meters the first time out the other day:
HPIM0384.JPG

If that kind of accurracy with the first load you try is OK for him, then don't worry about new barrels just yet :winking:

I posted a thread in the percussion forum if your interested.

Further, gunbroker seems to have renegades pretty often - I think there's one there right now for reasonable.

I dont know much about these rifles , what they look like ect. I was trying to get some info on them to see if he would be interested. What he would realy like is a T/C hawkens in .54. F.K.

The New Englader has one advantage in that he can get other cal. barrels and a .12 ga shotgun barrel for it. Nice little all around gun.

I have owned both. My Penn Hunter has a 28" barrel the New Englander had a 26". I sold the New Englander, It wasn't as comfortable to shoot as the Penn Hunter [to me].

I have a .54 cal New Englander with 110 grains of 2ff and a 430 grain maxi it is very accurate packing almost 1200 ft pounds at 100 yrds. Fast handling and easy to carry.

Tightly patched round balls shoot well in mine with 60 grns of 2ff still around 500 ft pounds at 100 yrds and plenty of energy for 50 yrd hunting ranges.

That said the deeper cut rifling and slower twist of a true round ball barrel will probably give better service with medium to heavy load and be more forgiving to a wider range of patch and ball combos.

Bob

Latest posts

Back