• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken price question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Davis lock is about 3/16” shorter that a TC lock. Don’t know who told you it fit a TC, but that does not appear to be the case.

Correct. And also, that lock has a leaf spring which would require considerable work on the lock inlet to get enough clearance for it to function properly.

The only lock I know of is T/C to replace a T/C.

Some where it does seem that Lyman may be interchangeable with T/C. Lock springs I think are different though.

Seems some folks will replace T/C flintlock locks with Lyman flintlock locks because the Lyman geometry is better..

Could be wrong though.

The only lock I know of is T/C to replace a T/C.

Some where it does seem that Lyman may be interchangeable with T/C. Lock springs I think are different though.

Seems some folks will replace T/C flintlock locks with Lyman flintlock locks because the Lyman geometry is better..

Could be wrong though.
The TC and Lyman lockplates are different sizes.

Hope you get the TC. Once you know the problem try contacting Suzi at The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium. They have some lock parts in stock and may be able to help. Also GunPartsCorp also has some original TC parts and are worth checking. It may be easier to fix than replace the entire lock.

The L&R RPL #3 is likely to be the best choice for replacement of a T/C Hawken lock.
http://www.lr-rpl.com/index.php?opt...le&id=74:tc-lock&catid=36:cva-small&Itemid=62
The L&R lock also has the leaf spring and some inletting of the lock mortise is required.

You may be able to find a lock on E-Bay. That's the luck of the search.
Yes I think that is what I would go with if I decided to replace the entire lock.

Hope you get the TC. Once you know the problem try contacting Suzi at The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium. They have some lock parts in stock and may be able to help. Also GunPartsCorp also has some original TC parts and are worth checking. It may be easier to fix than replace the entire lock.

I'm hoping to get back to the store this weekend or possibly early next week. Hopefully it's still there when I go. I'll definitely check out gun works muzzleloading. Their prices seem very reasonable for parts.

Thanks!

So I purchased the Hawken. I took the lock off and I think the part that holds half cock is broken off. Here’s some pics. Can I just replace that part?
A8C2C6A1-2220-4BA7-B537-D1ED327BAE4E.jpeg
01FAD8C4-6D3F-437F-82A5-AAAE08B0B335.jpeg
310224C7-E0DC-4BF2-893C-0375D52EAA50.jpeg

Just re-reading the earlier comments looks like I just need to replace the tumbler? If I buy one is it just a matter of unscrewing those 3 screws and swapping them out? Will the spring be an issue once I remove those?

Thanks,
Dave

So I purchased the Hawken. I took the lock off and I think the part that holds half cock is broken off. Here’s some pics. Can I just replace that part?View attachment 40735View attachment 40736View attachment 40737
TC tumblers are very hard to come by. Have been told that Lyman tumblers will work, but need to be modified to fit the TC hammer.

Have seen a number of TC tumbler half cock notches and sears damaged from dry firing with the lock at half cock. Trigger strikes the sear, and all the stress is put on the notch and sear tip. Just a matter of time before it chips or breaks.

A couple of folks with broken lock parts told me they saw a YouTube video demonstrating how to place the gun in half cock dry firing the gun when adjusting the set trigger. TC recommend this method years ago, with S&W now taking the position the tumbler or sear ‘shouldn’t break’ doing limited dry firing, but if it does, too bad because there are no spare parts. Got to love YouTube and holding companies.

TC tumblers are very hard to come by. Have been told that Lyman tumblers will work, but need to be modified to fit the TC hammer.

Have seen a number of TC tumbler half cock notches and sears damaged from dry firing with the lock at half cock. Trigger strikes the sear, and all the stress is put on the notch and sear tip. Just a matter of time before it chips or breaks.

A couple of folks with broken lock parts told me they saw a YouTube video demonstrating how to place the gun in half cock dry firing the gun when adjusting the set trigger. TC recommend this method years ago, with S&W now taking the position the tumbler or sear ‘shouldn’t break’ doing limited dry firing, but if it does, too bad because there are no spare parts. Got to love YouTube.
This appears to be the right tumbler. Mines missing that whole half cocked notch. If this is the correct one I’m going to order one today.

Used Thompson Center Hawken, Renegade Lock Tumbler Flint/Perc TC081411-45 | eBay

Pricey, but appears correct per description. Not many options today. I believe The Gun Works got $20 for them, when they had them in stock.
Yea all the online retailers that sell them that I found were out of stock. I’ll go ahead and grab one of these.

Just re-reading the earlier comments looks like I just need to replace the tumbler? If I buy one is it just a matter of unscrewing those 3 screws and swapping them out? Will the spring be an issue once I remove those?

Thanks,
Dave
[/QUOT

So I purchased the Hawken. I took the lock off and I think the part that holds half cock is broken off. Here’s some pics. Can I just replace that part?View attachment 40735View attachment 40736View attachment 40737

I bought a tumbler off evil-bay that was listed as a TC tumbler. It was a Lyman and worked perfectly except l had to file down the square shank to get the hammer to go on.

it looks like in the picture that the bridle screws may be loose. If they are it may have contributed to the problem. Or it could have been broken dry-firing the set triggers with it in half cock as l believe somebody mentioned.

also from the picture, if the lock is in full cock, in my experience, the spring rod should stick through the boss on the lock plate far enough to grip it with a pair of needle-nose vice grips to make disassembly easier. Don’t know if yours might have been shortened for some reason or it may have been one of TC’s cost cutting measures but it doesn’t look like it sticks through far enough to do that.

Log Cabin and maybe Dixie and Track of the Wolf advertise L and R replacement locks for the TC Hawken. I bought a Thompson Center percussion White Mountain and would like to replace it with a leaf spring L and R that has a fly for a set trigger. The trigger on it is quite heavy but accounted for three animals with three shots. Maybe not mess with upgrading lock and trigger until it misses. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Hawken replacement is not cheap. About $169.00 before shipping and handling.

I ordered a new (used) tumbler off ebay and I also ordered a coil mainspring vice from TOTW. Now I just have to wait until everything comes in so I can swap it out.

Latest posts

Back