• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Barrel Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkyfeet

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Hawkins in a 54 percussion barrel that has the lifetime warranty on it. Its 3o years old now and is completely shot out. I am the original owner of the gun as well so its warranaty is in my name. What do I have to do to get this barrel replaced through T/C. Theres an estimated 20,000 balls and conicles through it and my father took it to a gunsmith and he said to send it back for a new barrel because its out of tolerance and more like a 55 cal or higher now. Has anyone ever used the warranty and replaced the barrel and if so whats the procedure. Thanks

I haven't replkaced any but a coworker just took his into the Log Cabin and they replaced his on the spot at no cost!.( This was several years ago ) I suggest you contact either T.C directly or the Log Cabin. :idunno:

I have worked replacements thru TC a few times on guns second hand to me.. Mail it into them and so far new pieces have shown back up.

Did you strip the barrel down as in removing the rib, nipple, and sights, or send it in whole.

2_Tall said:
I have a T/C Hawkins in a 54 percussion barrel that has the lifetime warranty on it. Its 3o years old now and is completely shot out. I am the original owner of the gun as well so its warranaty is in my name. What do I have to do to get this barrel replaced through T/C. Theres an estimated 20,000 balls and conicles through it and my father took it to a gunsmith and he said to send it back for a new barrel because its out of tolerance and more like a 55 cal or higher now. Has anyone ever used the warranty and replaced the barrel and if so whats the procedure. Thanks

Seems like you should contact T/C about a 30 year old barrel with 20,000 shots and is worn out.

How many shots did they warranty barrels for?

Isn't a warranty for defects in workmanship and defective parts, not worn out?

kinda what was going through my mind

I'd have it freshed.

The company didn't sell a faulty barrel. It worked well enough to shoot over 20 thousand rounds through it. Doesn't seem right to make T/C fix something they didn't mess up. If anything a thank you letter praising them on their product seems more in order.

Cynthialee said:

I'd have it freshed.

The company didn't sell a faulty barrel. It worked well enough to shoot over 20 thousand rounds through it. Doesn't seem right to make T/C fix something they didn't mess up. If anything a thank you letter praising them on their product seems more in order.

Well said.
But these days of many raised with no conscience and a sense of entitlement for everything, your words will have no meaning to some.
The 'reasoning' seems to be "if it is free, I'll take it, right or wrong". Besides they don't even know the meaning of the word 'wrong'.

Rifleman1776 said:
Cynthialee said:

I'd have it freshed.

Well said.
But these days of many raised with no conscience and a sense of entitlement for everything, your words will have no meaning to some.
The 'reasoning' seems to be "if it is free, I'll take it, right or wrong". Besides they don't even know the meaning of the word 'wrong'.

Well that sounds right nice, and maybe all that sanctimony is well placed. What I'd do (and have done) is send the barrel back to TC complete asking TO BUY a replacement barrel with all the good hardware on the old barrel moved over to the new barrel...if possible. Make it clear that any work is to be on your dime and you're NOT asking for warranty.

What TC did in response was to provide a completely new barrel at no cost under warranty.

Maybe things are different now, but folks will do what they're going to do. No point in arguing.

I broke the tumbler in my Hawken lock(twice). I called T/C to get a replacement, and they had me ship the lock to them with a note telling what was wrong, and they replaced the part for free.

I told the CS rep that the break was my fault, and I was looking to purchase a new tumbler, but I was told to send it in and it would be fixed and returned to me.

Well I am not sure what the original warranty was for anymore. Quit frankly I forgot it even had a warranty and was looking to just buy a replacement barrel until the gunsmith my father went to said to send it back rather than purchase a new one from him. I am not looking for free handouts just trying to get some intelligence fromt he group who may have dealt with T/C before. Please don't take it as I am trying to say the gun is faulty I know dang well its a fine gun, and when it was new it would shoot tight groups that were either touching or close to it at 50 yards. Now the groups are around 3-4inchs since the rifling it worn down so bad. I would even pay to have it punched out to a 58 cal. Thanks for the advice.

2_Tall said:
I would even pay to have it punched out to a 58 cal.

Thats what I was going to suggest. Then you can enjoy a barrel that I'm sure already has many great memories attached to it for another 20,000 shots. :thumbsup:

Thompson Center Warrenty: http://www.tcarms.com/customerService/warranty_details.php

Now, ultimately it's up to the company whether or not a barrel shot out after 20,000 rounds is a "defect" or not. I know of barrels that have been shot more than that that are not "shot out". Who determines the mileage you should get on a particular barrel?

Personnally I don't think 2 Tall is wrong to ask, provided that full disclosure is practiced.

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I returned the barrel, I would put some elbow work into cleaning the barrel. If this barrel has seen a lot of use with conicals your problem may just be a leaded up barrel. Problem with this is the barrel will look clean, but won't be. You can't remove lead with soap and water. I have also heard that you can get a build up of bore butter.

Ive had too deal with T.C.twice now. I had a barrel that rusted bad 1/3 way down from muzzle I sent it to them and they replaced it free. Now Im dealing with a broken part of their rear sight Ive called them twice and the last time I spoke with them they said I should receive the sight in the mail this week well see. Good people overall and knowegleble on their products.

jdkerstetter said:
Thompson Center Warrenty: http://www.tcarms.com/customerService/warranty_details.php

Now, ultimately it's up to the company whether or not a barrel shot out after 20,000 rounds is a "defect" or not. I know of barrels that have been shot more than that that are not "shot out". Who determines the mileage you should get on a particular barrel?

Personnally I don't think 2 Tall is wrong to ask, provided that full disclosure is practiced.

Enjoy, J.D.

He did say it is a 30 year old barrel. Back then TC barrels were often rifled very-very shallow. It was a challenge finding a good material for patching that was both very thin and very strong. We (I wasn't alone) often ended up using airplane cloth. With less steel, I'm sure wear would be evident faster than with a deep grooved barrel. However, shallow isn't necessarily a defect, just the way it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rear sight was in the mail today horray. Our season ends on the 26th of this month. Throw that sight on get it settled in and go make some smoke hopefully. :hatsoff:

Well I can say this much I can take a .535 ball and a .015 patch and start the ball with my thumb and seat it all the way into the barrel, take the ram rod out and literally push the ball down with little effort like loading a inline. I used to use a .530 ball and the same .015 patch and it loaded hard. So I would say the barrels shot out, as did the gunsmith, but it was a good idea and I see your point.

Back