• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swedish 1685 blade.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luzur

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wanted to show you guys what i bought half a wek ago and showed up yesterday:

45j8UgY.jpg

M0bPDTf.jpg

Its an original M/1685 Komissvärja (Comission Sword) for the infantry of Charles XII (ordered by his father Charles XI in 1685, began production in 1686, i think around 80.000 of these where made in total), it was in use for the army up to 1747, then put in warehouses only to be retrieved and returned to duty again as navy cutlasses in 1832, but sadly they shortened it and removed the thumbring, but on the other hand that made it just cost me around 3000 SEK (430 USD) instead of between 20.000 and 40.000 SEK (2000-5000 USD)for a completely untouched 1685 in full length, and mine is still a blade that has seen action at either Narva, Poltava, Bender or in the mountains of Norway, just like the untouched blade.

Here is a pic of the differences with the other swords i have:

Djdyjg7.jpg

Only for the replica, you are more likely to find oil in your backyard then a cheap original scabbard for a 1685..

Very nice purchase. Congrats. I've noticed that early, original swords often double the price if they include their original scabbard.

Very nice! It's amazing to own something that old, with so much history attached to it.

Also a small update regarding the blade:

When i bought it, it had a very dried leather handle that had been painted black, and on that handle a corner had broken off something during the years, and under it you could see abit of brass string, so i got curious and "nibbled" away a little larger bit that was already loose, and was surprised to find that the original brass binding was still there, under the leather.

So after some debating with myself if i should or shouldnt remove the leather, i choose to remove it, so i scraped on the paint and found stitching on the underside, so i cut those off with a small hobby knife and broke apart the leather (it was so dry that it cracked right away, impossible save it)and it turns out i was right, it was still there, but it also turned out that it was cut loose and was merged with the leather cover at some points and came off with it, making the whole cord spin up into a heap.

So, i had to recoil it around the handle (first i cleaned the original wood handle and waxed it for protection, then i cleaned the loose brass binding, which was very grimey.) and refasten it in holes in the wood, so now it looks like this:

ws64mPz.jpg

instead of:

f6hQxqR.jpg

My guess is that the leather covering was put there when it was returned to active use in 1832 or possibly later,a simple stitched leather grip covering the old brass binding.

I feel like i made the right choice here, since im never gonna sell this sword anyway.

Back