• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sun Bathing Cherry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a cherry stocked rifle I have been leaving in a south facing window. I wanted the wood darker and it has been getting darker. I am wondering if, and for how long, that process would continue after I take it out of the sun.

It would take forever to get pictures but I have an almost 40 year history with wood from the same tree. This is black cherry, mind, not fruitwood.

Made a stock out of it circa 1983, three coats of brushed on BC True-oil, not much sun, has darkened maybe a shade in 40 years.

Made a stock out of it in 2003, finished it with BC Tru-Oil, lots of hand-rubbed coats. No sunning or anything else, sanded and put on the finish. It still looks like it did the day I finished it.

Made a stock out of it about five years ago, sunned it for a few days, hand rubbed BLO, now maybe half a shade darker than it was when I finished it.

Multiple scraps and pieces in the shed showing 40 year old sawcut surfaces., no direct light on it for any length of time, but it's all very dark on the surface if you wipe off the dust.

Got some scraps in the driveway, been soaking blistering sun for over a month, very dark reddish brown. Log scraps in the shade same time also darkened, but not nearly as much.

FWIW.

I have a Kibler Woodsrunner in cherry. I finished it with Tried & True Oil no stain. I have let it set in full sunlight outside for 50 or 60 hours, had it to the range a number of times. It has darkened a shade (compared with the wood inside the patchbox and is gaining a bit of a red tint. I don't think it gets any darker in the closet.
As finished in early May this year.
Wr8.jpg

August
WRAug.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Kibler Woodsrunner in cherry. I finished it with Tried & True Oil no stain. I have let it set in full sunlight outside for 50 or 60 hours, had it to the range a number of times. It has darkened a shade (compared with the wood inside the patchbox and is gaining a bit of a red tint. I don't think it gets any darker in the closet.
View attachment 241639

August
View attachment 241636
That is beautiful.

View attachment 241639

August
View attachment 241636
Very nice!!. I love cherry furniture and have been thinking about building a Kibler SMR in cherry.

I built a cradle in cherry about 28 or so years ago. Finished in Tung oil. It darken nicely to a deep red finish.

The next cherry stocked gun I build I'm going to whisker it good, put it together and go shooting. I'm planning on waiting at least a month before applying finish and will put it in the sun whenever weather permits. Cherry will darken much quicker without finish. It seems to oxidize with contact with the air as much as being a photosensitive wood. I've got some cherry that was put up in the rafters of my buddies old barn. It never was in the sun and looks like dark rosewood. I thought it was walnut till I cut into it. The color goes deep in those boards also.

Osage Orange is photosensitive, too. I have a couple of Osage bow staves that were only out in sunlight when I split the log. That was close to 30-years ago. They have oxidized into a very nice brown shade. I assume cherry will oxidize as does Osage.

I'm preparing an experiment with cherry. Using a piece of unfinished cherry board , I will put it in the front window of my old truck. It'll be covered with removable cardboard flaps. I'll remove one every week, and will expose the board for 4,3,2, and one week to see how much exposure is needed to darken the wood a couple of shades.

Yep, osage was on my mind when I typed my reply. Osage seems to darken pretty quick no matter how much finish is on it. I've left osage bows in the sun and the bow string loop on the top limb will give them a "tan line"

Our bedroom set is cherry, ca: 1965, and has darkened over the years. If I had a cherry stock I'd want it to look something like this. The flash gives an uneven quality.
20230803_175556.jpg

Latest posts

Back