• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suggestions—> Broken Screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage1

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was cleaning up the slotted screws on a TC Hawken patch box today and likely weekend the screw head. One half of the flat part of the screw head broke off. Sometimes I guess it’s best to leave well enough alone.
Likely I’m not the first guy to do this so I’m looking for ideas on how to extract the screw w/doing damage. It’s not a large screw so drilling it and using an Extractor/EZ Out may not be possible.
Really I don’t know , maybe they do make small extractors.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_5054.jpeg

I don't have my set of EZ Outs with me, but one of them is pretty small. Worth checking around to see if you can find the correct size. Another option would be to a reverse cut bit in the correct size.
Thank you.
I’m not familiar with a Reverse Cut Bit.
But you gave me an idea. Assuming the patch box comes off. Dremel a slot in the top of the screw post and unscrew it. Taking a break from it for a bit. Will get back on it.

Those screws are very small. There are no such easy outs. I would try heating the broken screw enough with a soldering iron to burn the wood a little. That may loosen it enough to back it out with half a head.

If that fails I'd carefully remove the rest of the head with a tiny carbide dremil bit. Remove the patch box. Grab the busted screw with pliers or a pin vice if possible. IF not I'd remove it with a plug cutter. Then replace the wood with a plug. Then install a new screw.

Try a punch/small chisel on the remaining half, either it will turn or break off. If it breaks off remove the patch box and cut a slot in the remainder leaving a small cut in the wood. Unscrew it. Provided of course it wasnt put in with epoxy . . .

I was cleaning up the slotted screws on a TC Hawken patch box today and likely weekend the screw head. One half of the flat part of the screw head broke off. Sometimes I guess it’s best to leave well enough alone.
Likely I’m not the first guy to do this so I’m looking for ideas on how to extract the screw w/doing damage. It’s not a large screw so drilling it and using an Extractor/EZ Out may not be possible.

View attachment 307960
Thank you all for the ideas. What worked was drilling a very small hole right on the edge of the slot. The brass was soft enough where the bit stayed in place. Enlarged it and then a #1 EZ Out extractor backed the screw easily. No collateral damage. 👍🏽
Thanks again for the assistance.

View attachment 307960
Thank you for posting this. Same exact thing happened to me on my TC Hawken, only difference it was the opposite end screw. I had some corrosion on the patch box and wanted to take it off to clean it and darn thing just flaked off. I have not attacked mine yet, but now have something to go on.

drop of dish soap,let soak. locate #40 left hand drill bit. granger has them. try a hook scribe to turn from the head half, soap first. use bee wax when installing screws.

I've heard that steel screws are historically correct. Glad you got it out with no damage.

When I got my hawken, the head of one of those patch box screws was missing. Of course the shank was still there. Not a big deal, just part of the sweat equity.

It can be done.

Here’s a side plate screw I extracted from a friend’s old Colt.

The good news is brass is much easier to drill than steel.

Attachments

• B3E1B40B-2D77-4BEA-8007-4F4D2F39B0B0.jpeg
    B3E1B40B-2D77-4BEA-8007-4F4D2F39B0B0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • BA8427D3-85AD-4879-8B54-70688015674D.jpeg
    BA8427D3-85AD-4879-8B54-70688015674D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

View attachment 307960

I would cut a slot in it with a small cutting bit on a rotary tool, just do it on slow speeds so the tool doesn’t wander.

On the plus side the area is pretty well hidden once it’s fixed.

I would take extra care into not damaging the rest of the stock while cutting the slot in the screw.

Latest posts

Back