• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Successful ML Muley

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldhunter

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to take this nice 3x3 yesterday morning. It took us almost 2 hours to decide to go after him. He was in the bottom of the canyon and heading lower. After about a 600 yard stalk, he was down after a 65yd shot; as well as a 2x my dad shot about 30 seconds after I did. Almost 6 hours later, we had them back to camp. It was a tough, rewarding 5 days. :grin:

My 3x.
P9270529.jpg

P9270546.jpg

The shooting rig.
P9270540.jpg

Dad's 2x.
P9270528.jpg

Here's to all you other hunters out there. May you have many great memories on your hunts this fall!

Atta Boy..s!! :thumbsup: Congrats! :hatsoff:

so cool ya got it done with yer dad and dun did it with you too! COOL! :bow:

Excellent Memory Made!

Grats to the both of you. :hatsoff:
You're hunting some mighty pretty country there.

Thank the hunting gods for something bigger than a squirrel!

Nice! grats to you both on some good venison. :thumbsup:

It is some pretty country. The maple, scrub oak and aspen are really turning. Makes for some pretty scenery. And the elk were bugling constantly!

Waidmanns Heil to these nice harvests! :thumbsup:

Nice pics also!

Regards

Kirrmeister :hatsoff:

WOW--That's one great hunting Day!..Its great to see smiles on your pictures..Congratulations on your Muzzle loading Mule deer hunt...what a great week to share with your father!...hunting Dad's are the Best!

Could you share the cal.-load and type of rifle you used on this hunt? I love details..Thanks for sharing...Have a Great Fall!

makeumsmoke said:
...Could you share the cal.-load and type of rifle you used on this hunt? I love details...

Sure. The rifle is a .50 T/C Hawken (my grandfather gave to me as a kit about 18 years ago) that I've restocked and done some minor cosmetic mods to. The load was 85gr of Goex 3f with a 295 gr Powerbelt. It's a good load for this gun, it groups about 2.5 at 100yds if I do my part. I can't get PRB to group well in this barrel above about 65 grains. :v: Shot ranges in this area can be out to 130yds easy if you can't get in closer so I need some more umph that that (cross canyon is very typical due to the thick oak) .

I normally use my .54 GPR with a roundball for muleys but I was having severe issues with that rifle before the hunt (it's got new sights and I was also having issues getting good groups) So I fell back on this rifle.

I carried my flinter a couple days but for some reason on this morning decided to grab this one out of the truck. Who knows why. It would have been even sweeter to tag him with the rock lock. I guess that will have to wait till next year. :wink:

Back