• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuff for PH Enfield '53

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas77

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Bear with me, very new to rifled-muskets, I need everything to start shooting a Parker Hale Enfield 3 bander. Where do you PH Enfield shooters get your cleaning and shooting accessories, also where's the best place for mail order. I checked out Winchester Sutler (great place) and Track of the Wolf.

It seems all the threads for the accessories are made for Euroarms and not the old Parker Hale.
I noticed the Winchester Sutler had a cleaning rod with a brush fixed onto the end, seems like a good idea. They also have brass ramrods to replace the steel one, the reason being that it won't scratch the rifling?

What is totally necessary? - worms, bullet pullers, etc. Also what thread is my ramrod? If anyone knows what is the thread for these brass ramrods the Winchester Sutler sells. Has anyone bought these?

Now minie balls, what is the easiest to load and shoot, and still accurate. I've seen the Lyman "Old style", and the Lyman .575 versions, and then the minies that are right at .577. What's most popular for the original PH Enfields.

Any help appreciated guys, I'm just trying to make some educated decisions before throwing down a lot of money :wink:

If you do not want to get fancy, you can use a common shotgun cleaning kit.

check out lodgewood. they have everything you need. i have the same 3 bander and a two band.
you will love that rifle! get a 560 gr P-H mold.
i shoot 37 grs of fffg goex. your gun may like more. i shot 43 grs for a while but 37 grs is just as accurate and less recoil for cw skirmishing. get a patch worm, you'll need it. its a long way down that barrel. most of all have fun. :wink:

Greetings,

Here's a question for shooters of first gen. Parker Hale Enfields. I recently acquired one of these fine rifles and trying to piece together a shooting kit.

I'm looking for a Ball puller and worm to fit the ramrod on a Parker Hale P53 Enfield.

Could anyone tell what the threadcount on this ramrod is? 8/32, 10/32, 10-24, etc...? :confused:
Where in the world could someone find these accessories to fit this ramrod?

Any help much appreciated,

:)

Original or repro? The original was a proprietary size from what I could find.

The actual thread size is .206" diam. by 26 and one third T.P.I. This is the same thread used in the Enfield/Snider Tang and lock screws as well as the ram rod.

If it is a repro the best bet is to take it to a hardware store and try fitting 8-32 or 10-32 fasteners and hoping. Or 6mm posibly.

My ORIGINAL Parker-Hale rod has a 7/32 thread. If yours is NOT a real British-made P-H then I really have no idea.

tac

BTW - here we use fractions broken down/up into their largest form - 8/32" = 1/4", 10/32" = 5/16" and so on...

PS - I've just been talking to Peter Dyson [gunmakers] here in UK - he has a worm [see his website - http://www.peterdyson.co.uk to suit a P-H rod.

He's very happy to ship it to you, should you want it.

tac

tac said:
My ORIGINAL Parker-Hale rod has a 7/32 thread. If yours is NOT a real British-made P-H then I really have no idea.

tac

BTW - here we use fractions broken down/up into their largest form - 8/32" = 1/4", 10/32" = 5/16" and so on...

Not sure if you're joking, but an 8-32 fastener is #8 rod (0.1640") with 32 threads per inch, 10-32 is #10 rod (0.1900") with 32 threads per inch, etc.

I have an English made Parker Hale p1858. The rod threads are a bit worn but as closely as I can determine are 7/32 BSF. BSF = British Standard Fine which in 7/32" bolts would be 28 threads per inch. BSF, like the similar Whitworth bolt/thread series is an obsolete system which predates the SAE that we are familiar with today. If your gun is an original, or one of the English made copies, then Tac's suggestion of trying Peter Dyson is likely your best (only?) bet of getting a worm to fit these threads. I have stressed English made because if your gun is not made in England, then it could be SAE or Metric. I suggest that you do as I have and simply use the original rod for loading and a range rod with standard 10-32 threads for cleaning & accessories.

Stumpkiller said:
tac said:

tac

Not sure if you're joking, but an 8-32 fastener is #8 rod (0.1640") with 32 threads per inch, 10-32 is #10 rod (0.1900") with 32 threads per inch, etc.

I think that we may have a miscommunication.
A 10/32" bolt would be commonly called a 5/16 inch bolt and could be threaded national fine (NF) at 24 threads per inch or coarse (NC) at 18 threads per inch.
A 10-32 bolt or machine screw would be #10 rod threaded at 32 threads per inch - a common size for cleaning rod fittings.
In America, "bolts" under 1/4" are sized by number & the following number is the thread count but some English systems measure "bolts" down to 1/8". To further complicate matters, in the Whitworth system, the bolt size is the width across the flats of the bolt head & not the diameter of the bolt shank.

PS - If you own a Morgan three-wheeler, you may need sets of wrenches in four different measurement systems. :grin:

In the past I have had to take a repro worm and run a tap through it to get it to the right size.

This was on an 1842

The same idea should work.

Foster From Flint

Yes, mine is an english PH. Thanks for the information guys, just what I needed to know :wink:

Back